Drive Upgrade

glennswest

Jun 1, 2023
I want to change my boot ssd to a larger one. Is it better to re-install? Or just dd clone it.
If I re-install, what files to copy to get my vm's and settings to move over. I'm running a mix of macos, windows and linux, with gpu passthru.
Should I just move my proxmox to a sata ssd, and use my nvme drives for vm's

A system disk doesn't really benefit from NVMe performance so yes, using thw NVMe as a VM storage would make more sense.

Restoring a system isn't that easy as PVE is a full-fledged linux and not just an appliance. With no easily way to backup a host or export configs. Depending on how much you customized your linux it can be really hard to set up the same configs and packages again.
I would backup all data (all the guests, "/etc" folder and so on) abd then try to dd + partition/filesystem resizing first.
You can also try to boot into a clonezilla and gparted ISO to do the cloning and resizing.

If that doesn't work you can always start from scratch with a new PVE and then try to restore VMs and configs from the backup.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!