drbd problem with 2-node HA

zordio

Jun 22, 2009
I have a 2-node HA cluster set up as per http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Two-Node_High_Availability_Cluster. When I first bring the servers up, clustat will report both nodes and the quorum disk all online. However, if I reboot a node, it can not connect to drbd on the second node. The second node also can not be rebooted gracefully, it must be powered off.

The output of /proc/drbd on the first node:
Code:
version: 8.3.13 (api:88/proto:86-96)
GIT-hash: 83ca112086600faacab2f157bc5a9324f7bd7f77 build by root@sighted, 2012-10-09 12:47:51
 0: cs:WFConnection ro:Secondary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown C r-----
   ns:0 nr:0 dw:0 dr:0 al:0 bm:0 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:16384

The output of /proc/drbd on the second node:version:
Code:
version: 8.3.13 (api:88/proto:86-96)
GIT-hash: 83ca112086600faacab2f157bc5a9324f7bd7f77 build by root@sighted, 2012-10-09 12:47:51
 0: cs:StandAlone ro:Primary/Unknown ds:UpToDate/DUnknown   s-----
    ns:16396 nr:0 dw:0 dr:16476 al:0 bm:4 lo:0 pe:0 ua:0 ap:0 ep:1 wo:b oos:0

Any suggestions? Any other info needed?

Last edited:
The real problem with the post was that I have an old version of Chrome. Fixed now. Problem with servers remains.

Hi, yes; understood. For what it is worth, my testing with 2-node HA DRBD config left me not keen to use it in production. (Behaviour when one host was unexpectedly rebooted - ie - simulating hardware fail and recovery - was not great, at least in my tests). This was a while ago however.

My general experience, to date, is that decent server boxes (redundant power, raid/redundant HDD) are so unlikely to suffer hardware-related crash/fails (in contrast to human error, network glitches, or OS level fails such as kernel panic, BSOD or similar -- which are more common than profound redundant hardware failure, IMHO) that the benefits of "HA" when weighed against the added complexity in terms of management and operation -- are simply not worth it. However, I do appreciate that some people choose to configure these sort of features and want such things. But I'm just speaking from my own experience..

Tim

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!