Does Proxmox work with HP Proliant SE316M1?

Macavity

Oct 9, 2016
Hello,

i already checked the Proxmox wiki and Google but could not find any solution.

Has anybody running Proxmox on a HP Proliant SE316M1?
These can be picked up cheap at eBay as a used server. The Chipset should be an Intel 5520 and they are mostly shipped with a P410 Raid Controller and 2 Intel Xeon CPU (most times i have seen L5630).

Any information is highly appreciated. ;)

I don't know the series in production with linux. We always had the ML Series. But yes normaly should work with.

Hi,

thank you for your reply.
I found informations that the DL160 G6 seems to use the same chipset / a similiar mainboard. Anybody expierences with that series?

Best Regards

Macavity

Hi,
I found informations that the DL160 G6 seems to use the same chipset / a similiar mainboard. Anybody expierences with that series?
Yes we have two DL160G6 to use. But they are soooo slow. Yes ok they are old... but depending on that what you use with. With Linux as VMs there should not be any performanceproblems.

I'm currently using a single server with an Athlon II x2 220 Dual Core CPU running 1x VM MySQL (linux), 1 x VM (Win 10 - doing some calculations - no user access), 1 x VM MSSQL (Win 10 - as test only) and 1 x VM (Win 10 - Remote Desktop). "Working" speed is ok, main bottleneck is the RAM (12 GB installed, all slots are full).
What are you using the DL160G6 for and what do you have runnig on them (if it is not to unpolite to ask)?

Best Regards

Macavity

One Win7 as Antivirusserver an two Linux. I know, it is to much for this server.

Hi,

which CPU / how many RAM do you have installed and how many useres are working on this?

I just compared the CPU i'm currently using (Athlon II X2 220) with the CPU installed on one of the SE160M1 i found (Xeon L5520 - in fact there are two of these installed in the server) and by numbers it should make a hugh difference:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1260&cmp[]=129

Best Regards

Macavity

which CPU / how many RAM do you have installed and how many useres are working on this?
no user, only antivirus server ;)
I just compared the CPU i'm currently using (Athlon II X2 220) with the CPU installed on one of the SE160M1 i found (Xeon L5520 - in fact there are two of these installed in the server) and by numbers it should make a hugh difference:
Must have a look next week.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!