Does proxmox have integration with ups?

ilia987

Sep 9, 2019
just bought some UPS to protect against power failure and electrical spikes.
the UPS support powerwalker, any tips or best practice how to integrate it ?

the ups should have enough capacity to maintain the servers under full load for around 10 minuts and low load for at least double

i am thinking of the following steps:
  • power down for more then 2 minute - kill heavy load services (computational grid agents) (should drop cpu load from 90-100% to 5-10% each node)
  • ups battery time left <5 minutes initiate full shutdown

I use my powerwalker UPS with the nut package. With it you can do all that.

Last edited:
If you have a compatible UPS, using apcupsd is probably the easiest way to do this. Simply do 'apt install apcupsd' and it should work almost automatically.

One item from experience: I had to comment out the 'DEVICE' item in apcupsd.conf, otherwise it wouldn't autodetect my USB attached UPS.

Reactions: slidermike
I have a CyberPower sx550g ups, and I installed apcupsd in pve, and I commented out the DEVICE line of apcupsd.conf file, and after a few minutes in shell I see communication to ups lost.
When I do apcaccess status I get
Code:
root@pve:/etc/apcupsd# apcaccess status
APC      : 001,017,0418
DATE     : 2022-08-05 23:25:09 -0500 
HOSTNAME : pve
VERSION  : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
CABLE    : USB Cable
DRIVER   : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE  : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2022-08-05 23:18:11 -0500 
STATUS   : COMMLOST
MBATTCHG : 5 Percent
MINTIMEL : 3 Minutes
MAXTIME  : 0 Seconds
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT  : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
STATFLAG : 0x05000100
END APC  : 2022-08-05 23:25:09 -0500 
root@pve:/etc/apcupsd#

Anyone know how to make this communicate and work ?

Hi @Phone Guy , OP was about another model, but as @Dunuin mentioned, you probably should use NUT.Apcupsd is primarily designed for apc devices, therefore the name. from apt package info:
Description: APC UPS Power Management (daemon)
apcupsd provides UPS power management for APC products, including most BackUPS
series models (including USB), SmartUPS V/S, SmartUPS (NET/RM), and Matrix
series.

Maybe it can communicate, but I would not bet on it, it's about shutting down your system safely. Not a bad word about apcupsd, it works very well in combination with apc devices, as many forum members have statet in other posts.
You could try your luck in the apcupsd forum, but there is already an older post for your ups model:
https://sourceforge.net/p/apcupsd/m...efE017943@server.novatec-inc.com/#msg35958406

Nut is also very well documented
https://networkupstools.org/documentation.html

Your model is not listed in the compatibility list from nut, but that doesn't mean it won't work, in the documentation is listed how you can see if your device is communicating properly.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!