Does command `lvs` and `vgs` run regularly

Howe

Jul 17, 2018
Hello friends. I am a new user to use proxmox. And I try to use `hdparm` to let my hard driver(WD RED Driver) sleep for a setup spin down time. But finally it doesn't work. And I try to force spin dowm like this,

Code:
root@proxmox:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  active/idle
root@proxmox:~# hdparm -Y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 issuing sleep command
root@proxmox:~# hdparm -y /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 issuing standby command
root@proxmox:~# hdparm -C /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
 drive state is:  active/idle

Emm, not work too.

After that, I use IO chek tool and it display like this (It execute `lvs` and `vgs` 15 times each loop so I delete the same display, ),

Code:
root@proxmox:~# ./iosnoop -t -d 8,0
Tracing block I/O. Ctrl-C to end.
ENDs            COMM         PID    TYPE DEV      BLOCK        BYTES     LATms
195426.442044   vgs          21355  R    8,0      0            4096       0.10
195426.586587   lvs          21356  R    8,0      0            4096       0.11
195435.672255   vgs          21368  R    8,0      0            4096       0.12
195435.817507   lvs          21370  R    8,0      0            4096       0.08
195445.898208   vgs          21380  R    8,0      0            4096       0.09
195446.038413   lvs          21381  R    8,0      0            4096       0.09

It look regulary each 10s. So does this job will stop my driver's spindown. Or How can I do if I want my hard driver to spin down?

Thanks and best regards.

It is strange to use disk sleep on a hypervisor.
Thank your for your reply. and yes you are right. But I use like this because I want to put a single disk to a VM and this VM I use to be a NAS so it doesn't need to read/write my driver full time:)

Yes, Proxmox runs this command regularly to check status of storage on the host.
I do not know, if you can turn it off without side effects.

Yes, Proxmox runs this command regularly to check status of storage on the host.
I do not know, if you can turn it off without side effects.
Yep. Can you please tell me how to turn it off or give me some document about this? Thanks a lot

I know this is an old thread but I figured I will post a solution I found for those who would like to lower case temps and save a few watts by spinning down drives.

As evidenced in the screenshot above I found that every 10 seconds commands 'lvs' and 'vgs' are issued on the host which prevents drive spin-down. In my case all of the drives except 1 are part of 2 zfs pools and do not need to be scanned by 'lvs' and 'vgs' - which by default look at all block devices found in /dev.

The solution for me was to edit /etc/lvm/lvm.conf and add drives I do not want scanned to the filter section - first line was already there and I added ones starting with /dev/sdb:

Code:
        global_filter = [ "r|/dev/zd.*|", "r|/dev/mapper/pve-.*|" "r|/dev/mapper/.*-(vm|base)--[0-9]+--disk--[0-9]+|",
                "r|/dev/sdb|","r|/dev/sdb.|",
                "r|/dev/sdc|","r|/dev/sdc.|",
                "r|/dev/sdd|","r|/dev/sdd.|",
                "r|/dev/sde|","r|/dev/sde.|",
                "r|/dev/sdf|","r|/dev/sdf.|",
                "r|/dev/sdg|","r|/dev/sdg.|"]

After this change I do not see read block requests for those devices for neither 'lvs' or 'vgs' commands.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!