Does anybody uses Synology for external storage ?

I use it for backups via NFS. No problem running for that purpose for more that 3 years.

I was wondering about using it for VM storage using NFS mount or iSCSI instead of Ceph or any other storage. I know that Ceph is relatively free (you need to have somebody that knows how to set it up) , scales better and have some features that Synology NAS simply does not have but with 10Gb cards and easy of use, it is an option. I see they have only Active-passive option via their High availability app tho...

Ceph on Ubuntu: OK, Ceph on CentOS: OK, Ceph on Proxmox: OK, but ceph on things like Synology or Qnap... not really... too critical.

no :) I was not planing to install ceph on Synology - I was simply wondering if it can be used and if anybody uses it for VM storage using nfs mount or iSCSI.

no :) I was not planing to install ceph on Synology
Thank God :D

I think the most efficient way is to use an plain linux for this things. This most more flexible and you can better search for errors when are problems. I can only say for qnap: If would like a qnap that can play at same liga like an real server with linux, it cost much more money (and much more headache). So in my opinion it is better to use not things like qnap/syology... everyone he likes.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!