Docker daemon running in Alpine container. Solved?

msh

Oct 14, 2019
I was able to setup Alpine 3.10 to run Docker daemon and run hello-world container in it. Here are the steps.
  • create container based on alpine-3.10-default_20190626_amd64.tar.xz (disk of size 0.5GB is enough for this little test)
  • under Options enable Features 'keyctl' and 'Nesting'
  • start the container, log-in, and inside container execute
    • `apk update && apk upgrade && apk add docker`
    • `rc-service cgroups start`
      • you should see: Mounting cgroup filesystem ... [ ok ] with 5 mount errors
      • here is how I fixed the mounting of cgroups (this is based how I can see Ubuntu is doing it)
        Bash:
        # remove dirs for failed mounts
        rmdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu && rmdir /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct && rmdir /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls && rmdir /sys/fs/cgroup/net_prio

# mount missing cgroups (Ubuntu style)
        mkdir "/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct"
        mount -n -t cgroup -o "nodev,noexec,nosuid,cpu,cpuacct" "cpu,cpuacct" "/sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct"
        ln -s "cpu,cpuacct" /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu
        ln -s "cpu,cpuacct" /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuacct

mkdir "/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio"
        mount -n -t cgroup -o "nodev,noexec,nosuid,net_cls,net_prio" "net_cls,net_prio" "/sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio"
        ln -s "net_cls,net_prio" /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls
        ln -s "net_cls,net_prio" /sys/fs/cgroup/net_prio

# mount systemd cgroup (Alpine mounts openrc, but Docker requires systemd...)
        # (based on hint at https://k9s.hatenablog.jp/entry/2019/06/16/075741)
        mkdir /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd
        mount -n -t cgroup -o none,name=systemd cgroup /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd
    • `rc-service docker start`
      • you should see: Starting docker ... [ ok ] with two errors 'sh: error setting limit: Operation not permitted'
That's it. Running the hello-world container works fine for me now `docker run -it --rm hello-world`
It seems to me the errors with starting cgroups service are fixed, but there are still errors (to set limit) when starting Docker service...

I'd like to know people's opinion ;) Is this setup good enough to use it to run docker container(s) under Proxmox?

I have been trying to create an alpine LXC container privileged with nesting enabled and i run into this problem as well, my alpine vms work perfectly fine. Is there anything i could do here ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!