DNS issue

rawmeat

Mar 6, 2024
Hi All,

This has probably been asked 100 times but i need help with this. I am running 8.1pve on my setup. I have tried everything from changing the resolv.conf file to point to cloudflare and google dns, turned off the pve firewall, and also been trying to see if i need to make any changes to a verizon router to ensure that DNS resolutions are not dropping.

The problem i have is that the DNS resolution is intermittent. It works for 5 mins and then stops working to the point the host is unable to access the internet.

Any advise would be nice, happy to put config code on here if that helps speed up what the fix could be.

Thanks

Hey,

can you simply not reach Domains or IP's in general?

Can you paste the output of your/etc/network/interfaces & /etc/resolv.conf

Best

Hello

From what you have written so far, I think the issue is (most likely) 1 of this 2:
  • Your entire internet connection fails, not just the DNS
  • There is something on your system (like a DHCP client) that overwrites your resolv.conf
To check if you have a general Network issue, try to ping an IP directly (for example ping 212.224.123.69) when DNS is not available.

To check if your resolv.conf has been overwritten, simply load the file again after DNS is not available.

Also, while DNS is not available what is the output of dig proxmox.com?

Lastly, let's see if your system has logged anything that might help us by running journalctl --since '2024-03-04' > $(hostname)-journal.txt. Please provide the generated file.

Regards
Philipp

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!