DMAR faults on USB controller passthrough under Seabios

Ashley Nicholls

Jan 29, 2017
Hi all,

I have been using a Windows 10 VM with NVIDIA 670, USB and PCI audio passthrough for almost a year now with very few issues.

I used the existing virtual machine image and replaced the NVIDIA card with the AMD. Everything works great until the AMD driver install where the machine crashes and reboots. I believe other people have experienced similar problems and one of the suggested fixes is to not use the UEFI boot method.

I created a new virtual machine with seabios, installed Windows 10, added AMD passthrough, installed drivers, appears to work correctly. Try and pass through the USB controller for the local keyboard and mouse to find the following errors in dmesg and no USB controller.

[12198.880676] DMAR: DRHD: handling fault status reg 102
[12198.880741] DMAR: DMAR:[DMA Read] Request device [00:1d.0] fault addr eb000
DMAR:[fault reason 06] PTE Read access is not set

00:1d.0 is the USB controller in question. I replace the AMD card with the NVIDIA card and get the same problem. When put in to UEFI mode via the "bios: ovmf" option the USB controller works as expected (but the AMD card does not).

I'm using a Supermicro X9SRL-F motherboard with an E5-2690 CPU.
I'm using the grub options "intel_iommu=on iommu=pt".
Have tried removing the "iommu=pt" to no avail.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Virtual machine config (remove bios:eek:vmf and pcie/x-vga options for bios mode)
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: cn
bootdisk: virtio0
cores: 4
cpu: SandyBridge
cpuunits: 2048
hostpci0: 02:00.0,pcie=1,x-vga=on
hostpci1: 02:00.1,pcie=1
hostpci2: 00:1d.0,pcie=1
machine: q35
memory: 16384
name: LiveWire
net0: bridge=vmbr0,virtio=3A:31:36:65:37:65
numa: 0
ostype: win8
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=1222e77e-7458-42c3-b84f-40d6152b6648
sockets: 1
tablet: 0
vga: qxl
virtio0: hybridpve:vm-100-disk-2,discard=on,iothread=1
virtio1: hybridpve:vm-100-disk-1,discard=on,iothread=1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!