Dl380 g6 won't boot fresh USB install

hurleyef

Mar 11, 2016
I'm trying to install proxmoxve on my "new" dl380 g6, but haven't been able to get it to work. I originally wrote the ISO to an 8gb USB 2.0 drive using DD and the installation went fine but the system wouldn't even seem to try to boot the newly written 32gb USB 2.0 drive. I did some googling and found some other users had trouble installing from USB media, so I burned the ISO to a CD and tried again. This provided the same results. The system will boot from USB pve installation media, and my main PC will boot the target USB at least past the bootloader.

So the dl380 can definitely boot from USB media, and the usb drive that I installed pve to is definitely boot able in my PC. I'm unsure what to try next. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm new to this and am anxious to get to proxmoxing. :)

Ok looks like you have some problems with grub. Maybe the grub config is wrong. Try to debug in this direction.

You could also try to install debian and setup proxmox on top of debian.

Reactions: hurleyef
When I look at the drive with gparted it gives me an error on the grub partition:
"Unable to detect file system! Possible reasons are:
- The file system is damaged
- The file system is unknown to GParted
- There is no file system available (unformatted)
- The device entry /dev/sde1 is missing"

What, if any, advantages/disadvantages would there be to just installing debian instead?

The advantage of installing PVE on an existing Debian Jessie install is that you get the flexibility of the Debian installer, which supports some configurations that the (faster, but also more simple) PVE installer does not. The disadvantage is that you might end up with a lot of unnecessarily installed packages if you are not careful. See the wiki for detailled instructions: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie

Reactions: hurleyef
Thanks bud, Debian installed like a champ. I would've preferred the proxmox installer to have worked, but this'll at least get me going.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!