Display output stuck Loading initial ramdisk...... but boot regurarly

Zippi

Nov 17, 2022
Hi everyone,
I updated ProxMox to 8.0.4
I recently noticed that when I turn it on after the Grub menu the video output stops with the writing "Loading initial ramdisk..." and it no longer displays the normal prompt and the IP address of the server at the end of boot. .
The server still works regularly and I connect as usual via web.
If I hadn't turned on the monitor connected directly to the server's physical video output I wouldn't have even noticed.
The only changes I've made recently are to the various configurations to enable PCIe card passthrough, could that be it?
Is this normal or do I need to fix something because it's not normal?
Thanks for your help!

@leesteken
thank you for the quick reply.
The output of cat /proc/cmdline is: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-15-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init

I specify that i passed through an iGPU intel HD4600 of the intel i5 4570 CPU and this is the only GPU in this server.
It works fine.

Last edited:
The output of cat /proc/cmdline is: BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.2.16-15-pve root=/dev/mapper/pve-root ro quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init
initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init is the cause.
I specify that i passed through an iGPU intel HD4600 of the intel i5 4570 CPU and this is the only GPU in this server.
It works fine.
I don't know if you need initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init but it is often needed when doing passthrough of the boot GPU.

initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init is the cause.

I don't know if you need initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init but it is often needed when doing passthrough of the boot GPU.
OK, thanks so much!
I'm not an expert and I'm slowly learning to use this fantastic hypervisor.
I wanted to make sure I didn't make any mess!
I'll do some more testing to see if initcall_blacklist=sysfb_init is really necessary but I think so.
Thanks again!

hey @Zippi, how did you fixed this issue? iam currently facing the same problem.. Also with an gpu passthrough to one of my VMs.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!