Disk Throttling Settings and Default Values

James Saint-Rossy

Oct 17, 2014
I'm experimenting with the VM Disk Throttle settings. So far here is my understanding:

• Read limit (MB/s): total read bandwidth per second allowed (I'm using 115 to simulate a HDD)
  • Write limit (MB/s): total write bandwidth per second allowed (I'm using 115 to simulate a HDD)
  • Read limit (ops/s): number of read io operations per second (iops) (I'm using 300 to simulate a HDD doing sequential reads)
  • Read limit (ops/s): number of write io operations per second (iops) (I'm using 100 to simulate a HDD doing sequential writes)

In terms of the Read max burst (MB) (similar theory for Write max burst (MB), Read max burst (ops), Write max burst (ops)):
  • This value refers to a leaky bucket algorithm which I'm assuming works like so:
    • You set it for something equal to or larger than the "Read limit (MB/s)" say 500.
    • This will allow you to burst up to 500MB at the max speed or the storage system.
    • Once you hit that limit you have to wait for the bucket to refill from the value you set for "Read Limit (MB/s)". So for a value of 115 this would take 4.34s. This is assuming you have no IO happening after the burst otherwise that will delay the refill.

Now the questions
  • Is this correct so far?
  • What are the default values if you don't fill in a value for Read max burst etc..?
  • What values are others using for Disk Throttle?

Thanks, James.

• >>Is this correct so far?
Yes, exactly (including leaky bucket algorithm)

• >> What are the default values if you don't fill in a value for Read max burst etc..?
no burst, you limit to max iops or MB/S

• >>What values are others using for Disk Throttle?
I think it's really depend of your workload, and your storage capacity (in iops).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!