disk I/O wait on guest at 30% while I/O wait on host below 3%

sub0

Jan 6, 2013
Hello Proxmoxers,

We're seeing very high load averages in a CentOS 6.6 guest which is caused by I/O wait anywhere from 15-70%. The Proxmox 3.1-21 host I/O wait is typically well below 3%, occasionally spiking to 5%.

The guest virtual disk (500GB) is configured with virtio, qcow2 and cache set to Default (No cache). From reading http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Performance_Tweaks#Disk_Cache it seems like No Cache is the optimum setting.

What could be causing the bottleneck?

-paul

What application do you run in the guest VM ?

NFS server. There's another guest that runs Asterisk and an NFS client. The Asterisk guest writes about 2Mbit/s worth of recordings to the NFS server through its NFS mount.

There was only one CPU core assigned to the guest OS. I added another core yesterday and that dropped the load average below 1. So that helped a lot... However, the guest OS I/O wait % remains high, frequently above 20%.

I'll have to wait with that until off-peak hours, but I don't think the underlying storage is the bottleneck. The image shows host block I/O over time. The long bursts in throughput, beginning at midnight and 3pm, are due to backup jobs. The small ripples during daytime are due to activity by the NFS server guest and other guests. So there should be plenty of capacity... which is confirmed by the low host I/O wait % reported in the Proxmox UI.

Screenshot 2015-04-17 13.52.35.png

Last edited:
Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the poor guest I/O performance?

This is just my opinion. I think the qcow2 disk image type might be causing the high I/O. Unlike .raw format, qcow2 does add some overhead causing higher I/O wait. If you could duplicate the server, try to change the disk image type to .raw. I think you will see big improvement.

Thanks all for your replies. We bypassed NFS and created a raw disk for the asterisk guest on top of LVM. It appears to have solved the issue. I/O wait is now averaging below 5%.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!