directory is expected to be a mount point but is not mounted

tjaroszuk

Jul 8, 2019
I am new to proxmox,
Recently I have mounted a directory which is not visible after reboot.
now I got the error :
TASK ERROR: unable to activate storage 'disc_images' - directory is expected to be a mount point but is not mounted: '

the storage.cfg is following
upload_2019-7-8_11-0-21.png

could you help me to to sort it out?

how do you mount /mnt/pve/disc_images ?

how did you create it ?(with the gui?, if yes what settings did you make there?)

I had created it via gui only. Tt is visible in gui but not mounted
upload_2019-7-8_11-33-22.png

in fdisk -l hdd/partition is also visible
upload_2019-7-8_11-31-28.png

ok there should a systemd-mount service

what does
Code:
systemctl status mnt-pve-disc_images.mount
say?

Found the discrepancy in the configurations.

Proxmox try to mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/8342a29c-cd1c-4472-94b6-45fd0989b082

According to fdisk identifier is “Disk identifier: E8AC2337-E89A-4022-B656-03EBE59A5C47

How does change it in proxmox?

I am still puzzled how it could happened – all actions had been made in GUI ( no CLI)

what does it say if you do:
Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/8342a29c-cd1c-4472-94b6-45fd0989b082 /mnt/pve/disk_images
?

also a
Code:
ls -lh /dev/disk/by-uuid/
can help

you can edit the service with your favorite editor e.g.
/etc/systemd/system/mnt-pve-disc_images.mount

Reactions: spanish
There you are - no positive effect
moreover the fdisk and ls -lh /dev/disk/by-uuid/ different identifiers

upload_2019-7-8_12-5-36.png

oh i misspelled, try:

Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/8342a29c-cd1c-4472-94b6-45fd0989b082 /mnt/pve/disc_images

Code:
mount /dev/disk/by-uuid/8342a29c-cd1c-4472-94b6-45fd0989b082 /mnt/pve/disc_images

does not work.

I have reinstalled proxmox 5.4 manually configured
storage.cfg
and then it worked.

After reboot i need to mount it again manually.

Does Proxmox uses the standard debian mount via
/etc/fstab
or is it the other propertary way?

I have the same problem with an external USB Drive, which is connected to a sever and it should serve as Backup drive for both servers.

On the one, where it is attached directly I can access the Backup section on the other one I am getting the error message.

Attachments

• TeamViewer_Bud0PPIqVk.png
    TeamViewer_Bud0PPIqVk.png
    33 KB · Views: 73
  • TeamViewer_fDHqExPgWy.png
    TeamViewer_fDHqExPgWy.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 73
  • TeamViewer_K6cd5E6hR8.png
    TeamViewer_K6cd5E6hR8.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 67
  • TeamViewer_K7ZPNbhaY6.png
    TeamViewer_K7ZPNbhaY6.png
    21 KB · Views: 72
I've just encountered a similar issue, I had a USB drive (completely blank). I created it via the GUI and added it as a backup drive. It took a full backup of a VM last night and then this morning randomly "unmounted".

I think manually creating the mount in /etc/fstab using UUID (lsblk and blkid to make sure i have the correct drive and UUID) before using it in the Proxmox GUI is the way to go because I also did that with another drive and that's working fine.

I suspect this is an issue more likely to affect removable devices. What I think triggered it in my case is I had temporarily mounted a /dev/sdb and the backup drive was /dev/sdc I unmounted and removed the /dev/sdb and the backup drive has now been assigned /dev/sdb instead of /dev/sdc

Same happened to me now. USB backup drive (added to Proxmox as a backup drive via GUI) is randomly unmounted.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!