different networks for VMs and storage

smbtech

Sep 24, 2014
Hi,

I have configured a two-node cluster with DRBD shared local storage following the documentation in the wiki. I have also configured two separate networks, one for accessing the VMs over the LAN, and a 2nd network, for which I want DRBD communication and storage traffic to go. My question is, how does one make sure that this is indeed working. I have a feeling that when I migrate VMs between the two nodes, traffic is passing thru the VM network, and not thru the one I dedicated for storage.

Any insight would be highly appreciated!
thx.
/DL

hello

DRBD traffic (also live migration) will pass through the interface's ip that you have configured on drbd's resource file (e.g /etc/drbd.d/r0.res).
To be sure use iptraf utility at the same time that you do live migration.
Cluster traffic will pass through ip/nic that you have set on /etc/hosts file.

@acidrop: Thx much! r0.res, completely forgot to look there.... At least I can see that the config is correct, and that DRBD traffic should flow thru the "storage" network. I'll play with this tomorrow, and chk iptraf.
thx again!
/DL

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!