Different lvm volume group and cluster

anayrat

Oct 4, 2023
Hello,

Here is my setup:
  • Node 1 with one volume group "pve" and two lvmthin volume "Volume1" and "Volume2"
  • Node 2 with two volumes groups (I want to keep them separated) "nvme" and "hdd" and one lvmthin volume on each VG.

My plan was to have a Volume1 and Volume2 on both nodes, even if the volume group was different.

I don't understand why it is necessary to have the same volume group on all nodes. It is hard requirement.
We could have a mapping like :

• Volume1 on node 1 is on volume group "pve"
  • Volume1 on node 2 is on volume group "nvme"
  • Volume2 on node 1 is on volume group "pve"
  • Volume2 on node 2 is on volume group "hdd"
So I created this config:
  • Volume1-1 on node 1 with volume group "pve"
  • Volume1-2 on node 2 with volume group "nvme"
  • Volume2-1 on node 1 with volume group "pve"
  • Volume2-2 on node 2 with volume group "hdd"
But I can't migrate CT with a different storage ?
Thanks

Hum ok, reply partially to myself. We can do this with:
Code:
pct migrate 106 node2 --target-storage=Volume1-2

But how can we do if there is multiple disk on different volume? I have a CT on both Volume1 and Volume2.

Can the --target-storage can be a mapping? Like --target-storage="Volume1-1=>Volume1-2;Volume2-1=>Volume2-2" ?
Thanks

As per man page (man pct), you only have two options:
--target-storage <string>
Mapping from source to target storages. Providing only a single storage ID maps all source storages to that storage. Providing the special value 1 will map each source storage to itself.

You are free to open a feature request: https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/where-to-post-feature-requests.46317/
However, I expect that such flexibility is not something that more than a few users would want. I expect that most people who running a PVE cluster will also use some sort of shared storage, making the need to map local storages mute point.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!