DIfference between "Create VM" and "Create CT"

THZzB

Jan 25, 2021
I download Ubuntu 20.04 LTS iso file and I've create Virtual Machine using Create VM. I heard that LXC container is faster, but I cannot make LXC contaier from .iso file.
1. Is it possible to create LXC from .iso at Proxmox?
1. What is the speed and CPU utilization difference between VM and CT of the same guest mashine?

You can't create containers from iso files.

In your pve gui select storage "local" -> ct templates -> templates -> search for ubuntu -> download

VM's and container have different pros and cons. For speed container win in every aspect since they have raw host performance.

I would like to get some template with Ubuntu docker or Debian with docker out of box. I try to find it at Proxmox templates, but there is none.
Do you know where I can get it?

I would like to get some template with Ubuntu docker or Debian with docker out of box. I try to find it at Proxmox templates, but there is none.
Do you know where I can get it?

There is none, but it is really easy to setup, takes 1 minute.

Create container, change container options -> features -> enable keyctl and nesting.

Start the container, run "pct enter <id>" or select container shell and login.

Run the docker bootstrap script to install it automatically:

Code:
apt update && apt install -y curl && curl -s https://get.docker.com | sh

Verify docker works with "docker run hello-world"

If needed shut down container and convert to template.

Last edited:
Thank You for your answer.
BTW
At ubuntu ISO I had possibility to make full disk encryption. Is it possible to do it with LXC container templates?

Depends on the storage, only possible with zfs.

But you can always full disk encrypt your whole proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!