DHCP not detected by PVE installer

zzz09700

Apr 15, 2024
We are in the process of setting up our new EPYC based servers to run PVE.
The servers all have Intel I350 2-port built into the MB and BCM57416 2-port in the OCP 2.0 slot.

During the installation process I see that PVE installer picked two NIC ports and I'm not sure which one was detected. I tried putting Ethernet able into either of the two network cards and I was not able to get DHCP-assigned IP from neither.

Is this considered normal and I should go ahead and manually assign an IP to PVE?
We do have DHCP server running on the subnet. All other serevrs running ESXi are picking up DHCP with zero problem.

We are in the process of setting up our new EPYC based servers to run PVE.
The servers has Intel I350 2-port built into the MB and BCM57416 2-port in the OCP 2.0 slot.

During the installation process I see that PVE installer picked two NIC ports and I'm not sure which one was detected. I tried putting Ethernet able into either of the two network cards and I was not able to get DHCP-assigned IP from neither.

Is this considered normal and I should go ahead and manually assign an IP to PVE?
We do have DHCP server running on the subnet. All other serevrs running ESXi are picking up DHCP with zero problem.
Yes, because Proxmox does not use DHCP when installed. But you might be able to set that up yourself after installation (by following a Debian guide).
Hi there, thanks for the quick reply.

OK then I'll just assign an IP to PVE manually. On ESXi servers we always start with a DHCP-assigned IP and then modify the DHCP server's config to keep that IP to that host.

Last edited:
Well, I just tried plugging in the cable a few more time and now PVE installer is picking up DHCP.
I guess we should run a full test and see if there's any broken cable floating around in our basement then.

Reactions: Kingneutron
On ESXi servers we always start with a DHCP-assigned IP and then modify the DHCP server's config to keep that IP to that host.
The installer usually picks up a DHCP address but once installed, Proxmox will not refresh that DCHP lease (unless you install and configure DHCP manually) and that will cause problems. As far as I know.

Reactions: Kingneutron
The installer usually picks up a DHCP address but once installed, Proxmox will not refresh that DCHP lease (unless you install and configure DHCP manually) and that will cause problems. As far as I know.
Well that's some important heads up. Thanks man you just saved one of my future days. :D

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!