Device access in VE

argh

May 9, 2008
Still running my PVE 0.9 - trying to make it behave as I want it to. ;-)

Scenario:
I want to run Mythbuntu backend in VE.
I have: 1 terratec Cinergy dvb-s pci card
1 Dvb-T usb module.
3 x 500 Gb internal SATA disks for media
2 x 500 Gb external usb 2.0 disks for media.

AMD64 x2 4400+ (2.3 ghz) cpu
8 Gb ram
2 x GbLan

I need some way to let the VE see/control the Dvb-s / dvb-t cards. Both are supported in Linux.
Under Xen I would do this by forwarding the PCI slot for the dvb-s and a pci usb-card to the vm.

KVM does not yet support pci forwarding; and I'd rather run it under OpenVZ, for maximum performance.
I would considder buying an USB dvb-s tuner if that will make it possible.

Here's what I am thinking:
A) Initialize the devices in the HN, and somehow access the device nodes directly from VE. (Dont know if I can forward them in any usable way?)

B) Use something like http://www.usb-server.com/, running the server on the HN and a client on the VE. (Will have to buy USB dvb-s tuner).

Any thoughts on this project? I need any ideas / help I can get.

This is the main purpose of my setting up a virtualized server; I have done it in Xen, but I'd rather use proxmox - love the simplicity and potential of the solution.

regards
Anders

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!