Dell R730xd NIC not recognised during installation

Jetro

Jul 19, 2023
Hello everyone,

I'v had a look on the threads, noted there are a lot of R730xd users but found nothing about this. I'm setting up a cluster with some refurbished (and already tested hardware), which will be composed by:
3 x PowerEdge R730 (2 x Xeon E52690 v5, 256GB DDR4, Integrated 4xSFP+, H730mini, 8xConsumer SSD, 16x1.2TB 10K RPM SAS)

This would be a test cluster so even if it's not ideal / certified etc it's okay, issues are in plans.

Trying to install with the last .iso I get an error saying no NIC was found.

I've tried installing some 1 Gbps RJ-45 NIC I have, but same behaviour.

Someone who's using an R730xd can point me to the right direction?

Thank you,

Davide

Make sure you have all of the firmware updates applied for your Dell servers. I have a mix of R730 and R730xd systems that had issues running newer version of Linux until I made sure they were all brought up to date on firmware.

Tried also with the original 4 x 1 Gbps card and can't install Proxmox.

On Dell website I can't find any update for the Broadcom 10GbE 4P 57840S, PN: XGRFF

Tried also with an intel NIC on PCI slot, no NIC detected.

Does anybody encountered similar problems? R730xd is updated to latest versions and tried with last proxmox version.

I feel so stupid... The NIC was disabled in BIOS (which I tought it was resetted) and I also forgot to mention it there.

There is an option where the nic can be on, or off (OS). The correct setting was "on"

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!