[TUTORIAL] Dell OpenManage Enterprise

Hi, my VM is running but booting stops with message "booting from hard disk". I used this guide

https://ostechnix.com/import-qcow2-into-proxmox/

and tried every plausible setting. No change.

I even tried it on a Synology with virtual disks of different types (KVM, HyperV, ...). There booting stops with the same message. However, the Synology doesn't have enough RAM

Hi, my VM is running but booting stops with message "booting from hard disk". I used this guide

https://ostechnix.com/import-qcow2-into-proxmox/

and tried every plausible setting. No change.

I even tried it on a Synology with virtual disks of different types (KVM, HyperV, ...). There booting stops with the same message. However, the Synology doesn't have enough RAM
I have successfully installed it now and it works perfectly. I will post a guide later on how to make it work

Reactions: marduka
Create Empty VM:
1710754393307.png
1710754428803.png

Important to choose q35, and OVMF(uefi) bios, also EFI DISK with pre-enrolled keys.
1710754466258.png
delete the disks
1710754494056.png
give a good amount of cpu and ram
1710754517538.png
1710754538564.png
1710754561002.png

Donwload and unzip the dell ome KVM files inside /var/tmp

Then import the disks with commands:

qm disk import <vmid> /var/tmp/openmanage_enterprise.qcow2 local-zfs
qm disk import <vmid> /var/tmp/openmanage_enterprise.qcow2-1 local-zfs

Attach Unused disk0 and Unused disk1 under hardware
1710754878720.png

Go to options, boot order, enable virtio0 and change to first place.

Start the VM and then do nothing, it will reboot once, and then boot again. It should look something like this:
1710755555234.png It may take up to 20 minutes for it to fully load until you'll see configuration screen in blue background.. It may look like its stuck but its actually not, i was so close all the time and just didn't wait for it to fully load.
1710755575944.png

Last edited:
Reactions: maik_n and marduka
Thx. That's a great guide.

I guess my main issue was the wrong BIOS setting.

OME works like a charme

Last edited:
Reactions: Hai
I tried two different instructions for the qcow import before Hais guide. Both used BIOS instead of UEFI. But Dell OME only works with UEFI. There is no information about this from Dell itself. As far as I can remember, I read it somewhere afterwards. During (successful) booting, OME also loads UEFI firmware.

I use VirtIO SCSI Single, obviously that works too.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!