Deferred Mail - Move Server - Cluster

Apr 1, 2020
Hi,
We have a proxmox server cluster that has been running with no problems for a few years. This morning someone sent an email to a large contact group. They realised they made some errors and sent a second one with a few corrections. This has meant Office365 has put one of the servers in the cluster on some form of hold, but all our other servers are still sending correctly.

Is it possible to move the "deferred mail" queue from one server in the cluster to another?

1697025814819.png

Is it possible to move the "deferred mail" queue from one server in the cluster to another?
No not really (or not in any sensible way) - you'd need to edit the mails in queue to fix the received headers, change the routing information in the queue-files ...

either wait for the mail to be eventually delivered - or - remove all mail from the postfix queue and send it again through the other server

I hope this helps!

Oh thats a shame!

I tried moving the emails from /var/spool/postfix/deferred/* to another server. I tried with 1 just before i posted and it looked to work but i didnt know if there would be any unexpected concequences? I didnt change any headers or anything else.

When you say "send it again" do you mean get the user to do that, or a process I could do?

No not really (or not in any sensible way) - you'd need to edit the mails in queue to fix the received headers, change the routing information in the queue-files ...

either wait for the mail to be eventually delivered - or - remove all mail from the postfix queue and send it again through the other server

I hope this helps!
Thanks for your help. I moved half the queue and they went but then the second server had the same problem. Turns out its actually a microsoft error so trying to find another plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/c...e_else_seeing_outlook_mail_delivery_problems/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!