Default gateway via VLAN

syd

Renowned Member
Feb 8, 2011
Hi,

I have two routers installed (KVM) on Proxmox VE, which are using VLANs and it's working nice*.
But I want to have an access to Proxmox from one of VLANs which are in use. It's easy at first look: I need to just add some IP on vmbrXX (e.g. eth0.11) and that address should communicate with any VMs, that are using this VLAN tag. But... deafault gateway seems to have to be only via eth0, right (at least by WWW GUI)? So I logged in to change default dev of gateway (route del... & route add default gw 172.16.1.1 dev vmbr11 [no errors after type command]), but I discovered that I have no visibility with any VM working on VLANs at all.

I'm connected to switch which is tagging my packets into VLAN ID 11, because this group of computers have to be separated from other parts of routers and have to be seeing only one ethernet of two routers working on Proxmox. It's working at this level, but I want to administrate Proxmox from this side too.

So, is there any problem with that or I'm doing wrong something?

Best regards!

PS: This is my first post, so I should thank You for that great tool which Proxmox VE is! Really good job, guys!

*I had a problem with get out with VLANs set up on VMs. It was like the Proxmox was killing VLAN tags of VM's. They see each-other within VE, but switch did't recognize their VLANS. Is it possible? Anyway, I made additional NICs like eth.011 and added them to VMs and it's working nice.

But... deafault gateway seems to have to be only via eth0, right (at least by WWW GUI)?

No. But there can be only one gateway. So maybe you need to delete it before you can add a gateway to another interface.

I logged in to change default dev of gateway (route del... & route add default gw 172.16.1.1 dev vmbr11 [no errors after type command])

It seems that I deleted one entry before I added other :)
But... if other device as default gateway can be set that way, that means this is only way to do this (manually from console)? If this is one way to do this, that means that after restart it will come back to default Proxmox settings (gateway via eth0), unless I add some script to run automatically after system start. The look of GUI also suppose that gateway must be via eth0. All in all, it seems to be to get around, so doesn't matter so much.

But upper words don't touch my main problem, which is absence of Proxmox visibility with VMs on VLAN interfaces made by himself. I mean ARP/broadcast doesn't goes between them despite they are from the same VLAN ID.

I need to have gateway on Proxmox which are point to interface on VM running on this VE. It was working like that before, without VLAN interfaces.

Any ideas why? Or is it possible at all?
Thanks & regards

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!