default block size 8k

Sorry, I am not sure if I can follow. By metadata do you mean parity data?

I also still don't understand if a guest with a 4k filesystem is able to write bigger than 4k.
Is it the case that, no the guest can't write bigger than its FS. Or is it something like, multiple 4k writes of the guest will get cached together if they are not sync, so there could be a single 64k write on ZFS that consists of 16x 4k writes inside the guest?
Metadata for the ZFS filesystem, e.g. the pointers and checksums for each block, then the pointers and checksums for that, redundantly written, all the way up to the tree. The amplification involved in that ends up totally filling the pipeline with IOPs for every kind of underlying media, and then you end up at a fraction of the throughput. (Although in a theoretical edge case where you are way below the max throughout but need to only occasionally write independent small blocks, it could have lower latency.)

Most filesystems use 64k extents in grouping data together anyways (even though it is divided up into 4k iops) so it ends up lining up nicely with the blocks when volblocksize=64k

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!