[SOLVED] Critical error when trying to upgrade from Proxmox 7.4-17 to 8 (custom role will clash)

Yakov

Nov 24, 2021
Hey, I was following the guide to upgrade my Proxmox server from version 7 to 8, so I performed a dist-upgrade so I could check with the pve7to8 checklist script.

I ran pve7to8 -full, and it reported with this:

PASS: systemd unit 'pveproxy.service' is in state 'active' PASS: systemd unit 'pvedaemon.service' is in state 'active' PASS: systemd unit 'pvescheduler.service' is in state 'active' PASS: systemd unit 'pvestatd.service' is in state 'active' INFO: Checking for supported & active NTP service.. PASS: Detected active time synchronisation unit 'chrony.service' INFO: Checking for running guests.. PASS: no running guest detected. INFO: Checking if the local node's hostname 'pve' is resolvable.. INFO: Checking if resolved IP is configured on local node.. PASS: Resolved node IP '192.168.1.3' configured and active on single interface. INFO: Check node certificate's RSA key size PASS: Certificate 'pve-root-ca.pem' passed Debian Busters (and newer) security level for TLS connections (4096 >= 2048) PASS: Certificate 'pve-ssl.pem' passed Debian Busters (and newer) security level for TLS connections (2048 >= 2048) INFO: Checking backup retention settings.. PASS: no backup retention problems found. INFO: checking CIFS credential location.. PASS: no CIFS credentials at outdated location found. INFO: Checking permission system changes.. INFO: Checking custom role IDs for clashes with new 'PVE' namespace.. WARN: custom role 'PVENetwork' clashes with 'PVE' namespace for built-in roles FAIL: 1 custom role(s) will clash with 'PVE' namespace for built-in roles enforced in Proxmox VE 8 INFO: Checking if LXCFS is running with FUSE3 library, if already upgraded.. SKIP: not yet upgraded, no need to check the FUSE library version LXCFS uses INFO: Checking node and guest description/note length.. PASS: All node config descriptions fit in the new limit of 64 KiB PASS: All guest config descriptions fit in the new limit of 8 KiB INFO: Checking container configs for deprecated lxc.cgroup entries PASS: No legacy 'lxc.cgroup' keys found. INFO: Checking if the suite for the Debian security repository is correct.. PASS: found no suite mismatch INFO: Checking for existence of NVIDIA vGPU Manager.. PASS: No NVIDIA vGPU Service found. INFO: Checking bootloader configuration... SKIP: not yet upgraded, no need to check the presence of systemd-boot INFO: Check for dkms modules... SKIP: could not get dkms status = SUMMARY = TOTAL: 31 PASSED: 24 SKIPPED: 5 WARNINGS: 1 FAILURES: 1 ATTENTION: Please check the output for detailed information! Try to solve the problems one at a time and then run this checklist tool again.

I've searched the forums and I couldn't really figure out what: FAIL: 1 custom role(s) will clash with 'PVE' namespace for built-in roles enforced in Proxmox VE 8 means.
As far as I know I have a pretty vanilla configuration so I am not really sure what could have caused this error, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Fixed it.
I may have created a role called PVENetwork ages ago and forgot to delete it, unsure why it caused problems but it's not needed anymore and deleting that role has cleared the problem.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!