Creating VMs and CTs brings down LAN and Internet connectivity

Feb 28, 2024
Hello, all.

I am experiencing some issues with getting Proxmox to behave. First, some key points:
  1. I use a Unifi Dream Machine SE.
  2. The network is segmented into different VLANs.
  3. My desktop PC and my home server reside on the same subnet/VLAN (192.168.2.0).
  4. My home server has only one network interface, enp3s0.
  5. During setup, I set the CIDR to 192.168.2.100 and the gateway and DNS to 192.168.2.1.
The Proxmox is a clean install, no tweaks or anything. As soon as I download, say, an Ubuntu 22.04 image and create a VM (basically stock, no changes), it boots just fine. As soon as I select e.g. "Try or install Ubuntu", the loading screen appears and, when it's done loading (?), the host (and VM) lose LAN and Internet connectivity. The only thing I can do to bring Internet/LAN connectivity back, is to go physically to the home server and log in to kill the process - which, after a while, brings the host back up.

Could someone help me out? I have created this thread but I got pointed here to try and get my issue sorted.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
As I mentioned in my other thread, deploying Proxmox in a VM on my desktop PC and spinning up the same VM inside there causes no problems.

EDIT: Disabling the network when creating a VM successfully deploys the VM and no connectivity issues on the host (the VM doesn't have Internet, though).

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!