Creating RAID Storage for media

frogfather

Mar 8, 2024
Hello all, I'm VERY new to Proxmox and am completely in over my head on starting a server. I've only touched the surface in understanding how any of this works but am plenty willing to learn.

A friend of mine gave me their old pc to use as a Plex media server for my kids and family, and I've added a 500GB boot drive and two 5TB Toshiba HDDs.

After watching some tutorials I've come to the conclusion that I would like to run RAID1 on the two 5TB drives, giving me 5TB to hold Movies, Pictures, Music. Then be able to access them through Plex.

Getting Plex installed is the easy part for me. The hard part is getting data to the now 5TB RAID1. I have no idea how to go about moving stuff from my personal PC to the servers RAID1 drives, and above all, making them accessible to Plex.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.

First: you should understand that Proxmox VE is a pure Hypervisor system. It doesn’t act as some kind of NAS or storage/file server. You can set up virtual machines (Windows, Linux, etc.) or containers on Proxmox VE. These VMs can (for example) host a plex server or anything else.

Before going in the details I would not use such old hardware as a Hypervisor, especially since it has only relatively old HDDs which are not suitable for running VMs on it. I would recommend using a simple NAS distribution like Open Media Vault (which is free) and install it directly on this old PC. You can use the smaller HDD for the system and set up a simple RAID1 on the two bigger HDDs.

Reactions: frogfather

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!