Create VM by importing drive instead of ISO

babazaroni

Jan 30, 2024
I am having trouble creating an iso of a 2TB drive partition. I've tried Ubuntu disk tools but the iso would be larger than my 2tb usb drives and not allowed to proceed.

Is it possible to directly import from a bootable usb drive with the proxmox web interface?

what exactly are you trying to achieve? an ISO file normally only contains the installation files (that used to be put on a CD/DVD ;)), not the contents of a hard disk..

What I would like to do is use CloneZilla to do a device-to-device copy of an internal nvme drive to an external usb nvme drive. Then I would like to use the proxmox web ui to import the external drive as a vm. The os is Ubuntu.

What I would like to do is use CloneZilla to do a device-to-device copy of an internal nvme drive to an external usb nvme drive. Then I would like to use the proxmox web ui to import the external drive as a vm. The os is Ubuntu.
Look into using "qm importdisk" from the command line on the PVE hypervisor.
@d0glesby is correct, there is no "import" ability in UI for any type of disk.
Your could "dd" ISO (if its in a suitable underlying format) to a disk, you could live boot Clonezilla on VM and use the app "restore" ability. There are probably 10 other ways to transfer the data. All depends on your options to "export" it from source.

Blockbridge : Ultra low latency all-NVME shared storage for Proxmox - https://www.blockbridge.com/proxmox

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!