Create Storage Failed -- 500 Can't Connect

codex653

May 7, 2022
Hey all. I've been trying for a while now to add a newly created backup server as storage to my main VE server without too much luck. I've followed a couple tutorials and tried the command line variant listed in the docs, but I always get the message:
create storage failed: <name>: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to <my_backup_server>:8007 (Connection timed out)

I've confirmed that I can ping the node, nmap indicates port 8007 is open, and I have full access to the backup server through the gui at https://<my_server_ip>:8007. At this point additional searching on the web/forums hasn't proved too helpful. Can anyone offer some insight/guidance on next steps I could take?

anything special in your network setup? some proxy/firewall/etc. ?
is there anything in the journal/syslog during that time (on either side pve/pbs) ?

I have the same problem. Cant add new storage and on PBS the syslog no error. PVE is trying to connect nothing in pbs syslog.
On PVE the syslog error is "Mar 28 15:05:39 pve pvestatd[1787]: pbs: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8007 (Connection timed out)"

Last edited:
I have the same problem. Cant add new storage and on PBS the syslog no error. PVE is trying to connect nothing in pbs syslog.
On PVE the syslog error is "Mar 28 15:05:39 pve pvestatd[1787]: pbs: error fetching datastores - 500 Can't connect to xx.xxx.xxx.xxx:8007 (Connection timed out)"
anything special in your network setup? some proxy/firewall/etc. ?

Not that I can see. The firewall, opnsense shows the external WAN tcp connection in the log and port 8007 forwarded to the pbs server as OK. Nothing in PBS syslog to show a connection. I resorted to downloading a backup dump instead. My connections to pbs on local network are OK.

Not that I can see. The firewall, opnsense shows the external WAN tcp connection in the log and port 8007 forwarded to the pbs server as OK. Nothing in PBS syslog to show a connection. I resorted to downloading a backup dump instead. My connections to pbs on local network are OK.
if the firewall shows the connection but the pbs does not receive it, i'd say there is something wrong with the firewall and/or the network

Tem que ser criado uma rede vlan interna com ips separados para usar o proxmox em mais de um cluster, com uma rede bondbkp.png

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!