Create Pool

Yaniv

Apr 19, 2024
Hello,
I currently have 2 HDDs (WD Red Plus 4tb model WD40EFPX) and I want to but a 3rd one,
I didn't start any configuration with proxmox for this 2 but I am willing to buy a 3rd one
(originly I bought 3 from amazon but one arrived damaged and not working)

before I start working with proxmox I want to know what is the best way to configure a zfs pool from this 2 HDDs that in the future I would be able to add a 3rd one and even a 4th one if I would like to (and so on)
the goal is to make a VM for homeassistant and another VM for debian that will have dockers installed in it such as Jellyfin, nextcloud and more but all will use the same pool.

I would be glad to learn from you experince and wisdom.
A friend suggested making a TrueNAS VM and configure everything from there-the ZDS and the dockers("apps") , what is your opinion?

Start with a 2-drive ZFS mirror pool and add +2x more drives at a time (of equal or larger size) to expand the free space. This should give you a "RAID10 equivalent"

Adding only a 3rd drive is no bueno, as without a matching mirror it would be a single point of failure.
Make sure you set ' autoexpand=on ' before adding another "column" of mirror disks.

Reactions: Yaniv
Start with a 2-drive ZFS mirror pool and add +2x more drives at a time (of equal or larger size) to expand the free space. This should give you a "RAID10 equivalent"

Adding only a 3rd drive is no bueno, as without a matching mirror it would be a single point of failure.
Make sure you set ' autoexpand=on ' before adding another "column" of mirror disks.
Thank you for the answer, I have another question for something I am trying to understand,

lets say I create a pool of 3 drives*4TB, if I understand correctly the amount of space I will have is 8TB and not 12TB, what happens if one of the drives failes? all the data is saved? and if I want to replace it with a new one is it possible or do I have to backup everything and create a new pool? I'm a bit confused

Thank you for the answer, I have another question for something I am trying to understand,

lets say I create a pool of 3 drives*4TB, if I understand correctly the amount of space I will have is 8TB and not 12TB, what happens if one of the drives failes? all the data is saved? and if I want to replace it with a new one is it possible or do I have to backup everything and create a new pool? I'm a bit confused
Yes , 3 disks equals 2 disks of data and 1 disk for parity ( but more like 7.7tb ), so if anyone disk fails you can regenerate the failed disk , BUT if a second disk dies while you are regenerating your data, all is lost . SO YES IF ONLY 1 DISK ( raidx1).
If a disk dies , you need to replace the dead disk and make it resilver , BUT a don't think this is automatic you need to use the console and use
zpool replace pool_name drives_name etc
OOOPs I didn't fully read your first post , no you can't turn a 2 drive mirror into a 3 drive raidx1 without backing up and starting again .

Last edited:
Yes , 3 disks equals 2 disks of data and 1 disk for parity ( but more like 7.7tb ), so if anyone disk fails you can regenerate the failed disk , BUT if a second disk dies while you are regenerating your data, all is lost . SO YES IF ONLY 1 DISK .
If a disk dies , you need to replace the dead disk and make it resilver , BUT a don't think this is automatic you need to use the console and use
zpool replace pool_name drives_name etc
Thanks both for the detailed answers!

Thanks both for the detailed answers!
oops I didn't fully read your first post , my post as been edited a little , sound like you have a mirror and want to add a extra disk , which is a , NO NO , because adding a extra disk will make it a mirror and a single disk strip , so a single disk and you will loose all your data .
you need to back up the 2 disk mirror and make a 3 disk raidx1 instead .

Reactions: Yaniv

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!