Create KVM with real LVM volume as hard disk (NOT image!)

mickeyratt

Jul 4, 2012
Dear all

I'd like to ask you, is there a way to use real LV for virtual hard disk for performance considerations?
Under Xen 4 the same Win2k3 server with paravirtualized drivers and LV highly outperforms KVM with PV drivers and RAW disk image.

The Proxmox web surface only allows disk image creation, as i see.

Thank you in advance!
(and sorry for newbie question)

Thank You Tom for quick reply! :) Do you mean the:
[h=3]"LVM Groups with Local Backing"[/h]section?

I'd like to use teh following scenario:

2 additional hard disks (not those which has the Proxmox itself) with one software raid 1 for redundancy, created on this /dev/mdx device a PV/VG/LV and use that LV as virtual hard disk in KVM virtual machine.

Thank You!

yes.

I'd say section "LVM_Groups_with_Local_Backing". The sample is with an usb pen driver, but of couse is just a matter of device name.
Maybe you'd better avoid sw raid, since is never suggested by proxmox team and even if it works you are going in a "very much less tested" territory.
Regards

I'd say section "LVM_Groups_with_Local_Backing". The sample is with an usb pen driver, but of couse is just a matter of device name.
Maybe you'd better avoid sw raid, since is never suggested by proxmox team and even if it works you are going in a "very much less tested" territory.
Regards

Yes, it is working now perfectly, but the performance benefits was minimal. (Disk write: XEN (lvm): 45MB/s, KVM (RAW image file): 30MB/s, KVM (lvm): ~ 32-33MB/s)
I read a lot of posts on the net, and always praising XEN because of its best IO speed.

I know that softraid is not the best solution, we are a government environment with small budget :(
Unfortunately Proxmox don't support Intel's softraid solutions (implemented in BIOS) so i must use mdraid.

Thank You All!

Yes, it is working now perfectly, but the performance benefits was minimal. (Disk write: XEN (lvm): 45MB/s, KVM (RAW image file): 30MB/s, KVM (lvm): ~ 32-33MB/s)
I read a lot of posts on the net, and always praising XEN because of its best IO speed.

I know that softraid is not the best solution, we are a government environment with small budget :(
Unfortunately Proxmox don't support Intel's softraid solutions (implemented in BIOS) so i must use mdraid.

Thank You All!
I am also in a small "quasi government" IT shop. For my use case I found KVM to give superior performance to Xen. Proxmox is an ideal solution for HA on a budget. Spend the money on a real raid controller. It vastly improves things. I was able to build 2 servers w/16 cores+48g of ram + HPT-4320 controllers and 8 1TB drives for about $6k. With configured Raid 5 (3TB) I am getting about 170MB/s writes and 280MB/s reads. Did you use virtio devices?

half_life: thank you for tips. We have an INTEL SR2520SAXSR system with Dual Xeon (8 cores sum) 16GB RAM, SAS expander with 6 disks, but unfortunately, when i activate raid mode in bios, Proxmox not found any hard disks, nor the created raid array. (LSI1064E controller) So i must use mdraid, as written in the following good article:

http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid

Thanks!

half_life: thank you for tips. We have an INTEL SR2520SAXSR system with Dual Xeon (8 cores sum) 16GB RAM, SAS expander with 6 disks, but unfortunately, when i activate raid mode in bios, Proxmox not found any hard disks, nor the created raid array. (LSI1064E controller) So i must use mdraid, as written in the following good article:

http://www.howtoforge.com/proxmox-2-with-software-raid

Thanks!

What is the result of lsmod |grep mpt ?

root@proxmox:~# lsmod |grep mpt
mptsas 52926 6
mptscsih 36748 1 mptsas
mptbase 93999 2 mptsas,mptscsih
scsi_transport_sas 35086 1 mptsas

Thank You!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!