create a vm using OVF package

P

proxbiba

Hello,
i'm a beginner in proxmox, i have a vm under OVF format and i want to use it to create a proxmox virtual machine,
Hope that you help, because i really need your help :)
Thanks a lot.

The only way you can use a OVF format in Proxmox is by converting the virtual disk from vmdk to raw.
Create a VM in proxmox using similar configration. Create vmdk disk if thats what yoru OVF disk format is. Then replace Proxmox created vmdk with your vmdk. Them simply convert the vmdk to raw format using Proxmox Web GUI. Do not turn on the VM before you convert it to RAW.

You cannot take an OVF and simply plug it in Promox. Hope this makes sense to you.

heyy
the problème is that the VM that i want to tmport has 2 disks, and the second is partionned, i hope that u understand the situation :(
could your help more plz

Once you have created the VM in Proxmox as stated by symmcom you can add another disk in by going to the VM > Hardware > Add > Hard Drive

Then you will ssh into your system and move /path/to/ovh.vmdk to /var/lib/vz/*VMID*/vm-id-disk-number.vmdk and then using the web interface to go VM > Hardware > select your disk and convert to RAW.

You can also select which drive to boot from from VM > Options > boot order

I don't think the fact that there is a partition should really make a difference? As long as you boot into the OS it should see the second disk?

Heeyyy
Thankss both of you for your help
the problème is that i didn't change boot option in the configuration file, so it was bootig from the old disk ... now it works :)

Heeyy
I have a question about converting the disk from vmdk to raw, actualy i'm doing this opération by the following commande (qemu-img convert disk.vmdk disk.raw) ... when i finish converting i have to create a new disk under raw format, the probleme is i didn't find the way to tell the machine that this volume created is that one converted?:confused:

Why not do it under the GUI?

VM > Hardware > Move > Location: local (I'm assuming) / Format: RAW)

You can manually edit your config to ref the raw disk, its located in either /etc/p
ve/nodes/nodename/qemu-server/*.conf

or /etc/vz/conf/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!