Create a local virtual switch without using a physical port

Leoogermenia_

Sep 27, 2022
Hi, I want to create a second bridge where connect some machine that needs to talks one with each other, but only one of that can reach internet. Is it possible? Now I have a Fritz 7590 as my home router and I know that it can see other subnets, maybe I need to set a subnet here and after block internet into my router?

You can create a bridge without adding a NIc to it. Use another subnet for it and the guests connected to that bridge then could communicate within that subnet but won't be able to access any other physical devices (unless you let the PVE host or something like a OPNsense VM do the routing)

You can create a bridge without adding a NIc to it. Use another subnet for it and the guests connected to that bridge then could communicate within that subnet but won't be able to access any other physical devices (unless you let the PVE host or something like a OPNsense VM do the routing)
I tried, but the two VMs cannot see each other (ping result timed out)

Can you provide me more details in base on the image below?
1688996320026.png

From what I understood, you want to connect some VM each other by using vmbr1 right?
Give me and example.

Thanks

MM

Is there a firewall blocking ping traffic?
In my homelab the above example works, they can indeed "ping each other".
If the machines are in the vmbr0 they can ping each other with no problem, but in th vmbr1, where I set a different subnet from my LAN (my house runs under 192.168.177.x and I tried to set the vmbr1 under 10.0.0.x, but no success, either under 192.168.1.x)

If the machines are in the vmbr0 they can ping each other with no problem, but in th vmbr1, where I set a different subnet from my LAN (my house runs under 192.168.177.x and I tried to set the vmbr1 under 10.0.0.x, but no success, either under 192.168.1.x)
What ip addresses do the two vm’s have on the vmbr1 ?
I suppose you gave them static addresses because on vmbr1 there is no active dhcp server present.

What ip addresses do the two vm’s have on the vmbr1 ?
I suppose you gave them static addresses because on vmbr1 there is no active dhcp server present.
I tried giving a static IP address, but no ping. Now I don't have my pc with me, this evening I try to set again all and give to the vm a static IP

Please use the command traceroute in order to see what is the path of the packets
Code:
traceroute <VM_IP>

Can you provide me your PVE network configuration?

Thanks

MM

Last edited:
Please use the command traceroute in order to see what is the path of the packets
Code:
traceroute <VM_IP>

Can you provide me your PVE network configuration?

Thanks

MM
As I mentioned before, the scheme that you sent represents exactly my actual network configuration. I also retried to setup all and now works. Maybe in the first try I set something wrong, but now when I try to ping VM1 from VM2 with the second IP it works.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!