CPU difference with proxmox 4.3 and vm?

eislon

May 17, 2009
Netherlands
eislon.comze.com
I upgraded my cluster from proxmox 4.2 to 4.3 and I see on one vm a difference in the usage of the cpu!
In the GUI of proxmox it shows me 7,xx% usages of the cpu while in the vm I just have 0.7% cpu usage.
that is a big difference. I dont see it with my other vm's!

it is an LXC container, but I got another one running and its cpu usage is correct!

Is this a bug, or can anyone explain this behaviour?

See the screenshot I provided!

thanks.

Attachments

• cpu-performance_difference.png
    cpu-performance_difference.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 19
No no special application running, but will build a test vm as this one is and look if it will behave the same way!
However I still think it is strange that I dont see it in the vm, this means that the proxmox host is doing stuff for the vm so it should show on the host processes then!

No no special application running, but will build a test vm as this one is and look if it will behave the same way!
However I still think it is strange that I dont see it in the vm, this means that the proxmox host is doing stuff for the vm so it should show on the host processes then!
It's normal that your guest vm is not seeing it, as the cpu is coming from qemu itself. (think of a virtual motherboard, your guest can't see chipset usage for example).
If you don't have nothing running inside your vm, can you try to remove virtual network interface. (could be big broadcast or multicast comming to vm interface)

It's normal that your guest vm is not seeing it, as the cpu is coming from qemu itself. (think of a virtual motherboard, your guest can't see chipset usage for example).
If you don't have nothing running inside your vm, can you try to remove virtual network interface. (could be big broadcast or multicast comming to vm interface)

Ok, well I just have to try and install all the same software to a identical vm and see with each software package added when this happens.

Thanks for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!