[SOLVED] Correct way to modify hostname?

leopard

Mar 16, 2023
Hi, I did it again and can't remember tutorial I used last time to fix domain name?

Anyway,at install I set hostname as I wasn't sure of subdomain, I used:
catnet.invalid catnet

After installing ZFS's and VM's, I changed hosts file to: "cam.<domain>.org catnet" as I remember that ACME / lets encrypt needed that to be right? (might be wrong). Anyways, all VM's stopped to connect after reboot.

after that I change it back to "catnet.invalid catnet" and rebooted, but they still dont work, I just get red&white top border on noVNC window that says: "Failed to connect to server"

I don't have *anything* important right now, so might be easiest to just wipe all disks and reinstal proxmox... but this might happen someday when I can't lose VM's, so how I should do it right way? Lets say If I change domain and want to redo letsencrypt?

Last edited:
Ah, that is the one I followed:

I modified:
at /etc/hosts
192.168.1.20 catnet.invalid catnet
to
192.168.1.20 cam.<domain>.org catnet

/etc/postfix/main.cf
myhostname=cam.<domain>.org

no others file edits, after reboot I just got next creeting if I try to view VM (In this picture I already deleted all VM's and created new one:
proxmox.png

I did find fix for old server, but now I can't remember how I did it and also cannot find tutorial

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiquiFornari
Can you post the output of the task log for one of the failed console connections? What is the exact error message there?

Can you post the output of the task log for one of the failed console connections? What is the exact error message there?

sadly no, didnt have extra usb stick when go to reboot server :(
but I reinstalled the proxmox and installed proxmox as VM on it and repeated same steps without broblem.

but now somewhere in my head is a though, that I actually add to /etc/hostname to my domain name "cam.server.org" ... I wasnt supposed to do that... anyway, Im quite sure it was my fault anyways as now it work as it should.

I actually add to /etc/hostname to my domain name "cam.server.org"
Yes, this could have been the problem, glad that it works now. Please mark the tread as solved.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!