Core, cpu and ram allocation

madroamer

Oct 9, 2023
Hi

I am new to proxmox.. Need some help..

I have the following processor

Ryzen™ 5 5600G Desktop Processor (6-core/12-thread, 19MB Cache, up to 4.4 GHz max Boost)

16gb 3200ghz ram

Already have a 8tb HDD in which windows 11 pro running. I don't want to sidturb this until full set to vm as it has all data and backup.

Now installed a 1tb 980evo samsung ssd in which I want to run proxmax and via vm in proxmax truenas and windows11

Can some guide

1. How to allocate core and vcpu for each vm? Can we change it later by increase decrease?

2. Wat is best allocation of existing 2*8gb ram?

3. So proxmax etc can be run only from network pc and we can't have any gui mode in the server on pc in which proxmox runs?

4. Will both truenas and windows 11 run simultaneously? Each time shud we start the vm after restart pc?

Last edited:
1. How to allocate core and vcpu for each vm? Can we change it later by increase decrease?
If you create a VM you can set the amount of CPU cores and are still able to change/adjust it later. I'd very much recommend reading into https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html
2. How to allocate core and vcpu for each vm? Can we change it later by increase decrease?
I dont get the question, please describe more detailed what you mean or try to accomplish.
3. So proxmOx etc can be run only from network pc and we can't have any gui mode in the server on pc in which proxmox runs?
As Proxmox is based on debian you can install a graphical desktop environment (gnome, kde, xfce, ...).
Managing your virtual machines and containers can also be done with the graphical web client.
4. Will both truenas and windows 11 run simultaneously? Each time shud we start the vm after restart pc?
I dont get the question, please describe more detailed what you mean or try to accomplish.

Kind regards

Yes and yes, with autostart

Proxmox VE is the name of the product, if you want to correct people.
I get this error when start truenas vm..

I tried to add the ssd as disk thru add pci device.. Since then error comes.. Cudn delete it too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231009-205747_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009-205747_Gallery.jpg
    430.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20231009-205100_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20231009-205100_Video Player.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 7
Looks like you passthroughed a device that is also related to your disk controller and crash your PVE box in the progress.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!