Containers sometimes freeze during shutdown or reboot.

Istria

Jan 3, 2022
Hello all,

I have been using proxmox for a couple months now as the platform for my homeserver. I like it a lot. Kudos for making it as nice as it is!

Over time in my "experimentation phase" I've started fresh a couple of times by reinstalling proxmox and setting up all the containers and vms from scratch again. Recently I backed everything and updated proxmox to 7.2. Then I 'restored' all the backups. All running nicely.

There is however 1 problem I have been having since the start, and that is that sometimes (but too often to call 'incidental') when I try to reboot or shutdown a container, it does not succeed. The shutdown job times out. The cpu usage, ram, everything goes to 0. But it never shuts down. When this happens, usually restarting the entire proxmox server does manage to shut it down and restart. But sometimes even that hangs, and I'm forced to actually powercycle the server (a PC). In one case, this actually corrupted the EXT4 partition on my NAS and it needed repair (which worked thankfully).

I cannot reproduce it consistently. But I does seem to have something to do with having an NFS share mounted. Because it never happens to containers that don't access my NAS (OpenMediaVault Debian VM). Also, it mostly seems to happen to containers that have a rw share mounted. Containers with only ro shares rarely do.

It happens to:
Plex Ubuntu 20.04 LXC (ro share mounted, happens rarely).
qBittorrent Ubuntu 20.04 LXC (rw share mounted, happens most often).

Any idea what the problem could be? Is there something I can do before restarting these containers to make it shutdown smoothly?

This is currently my main vulnerability regarding my server. When I'm not at home, I'm afraid to restart anything. Because if it freezes, I'm locked out until I get home to press the button.

Thanks in advance for any tips or tricks! Let me know which logs I should collect.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!