Container vs VM

generalproxuser

Mar 14, 2021
I currently have my openwrt router as a container in proxmox and it is working generally without issue. It is an unprivileged container which I believe adds a level of security between the container and the host but I read (somewhere) that if I wanted to attempt a sysupgrade of openwrt within the container that there is a possibility I might overwrite some host files.

So now I am wondering if I should be running openwrt as a vm instead in the event I want to upgrade/overwrite my openwrt version.

Does anyone have experience running openwrt on proxmox as a container or vm or both?

Yes, as it happens. I have been doing similar for years.
I ran openwrt as a raw image in a VM for a while, then migrated to hosting a container with Podman.
Security is obviously better within a VM, so I host the container runtime in a VM.
The issue of upgrading, has always been well, an issue with openwrt, but that's openwrt for you!

Reactions: generalproxuser

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!