Container questions regarding flavors and LXD upstream

theCiscoGeek

Jan 31, 2021
I have a couple of questions around containers that I was hoping to get a definitive answer to.

Since Proxmox is running LXD on the backend:
  1. How come the image versions aren't inline with https://images.linuxcontainers.org/?
    1. Both for distribution and release.
  2. What does it take to support a new container flavor? I.e. if we try to import and use Amazon Linux we get:
    Code:
    Detected container architecture: amd64unknown ID 'amzn' in /etc/os-release file, trying fallback detection
      Logical volume "vm-101-disk-0" successfully removed
    TASK ERROR: unable to create CT 101 - unable to detect OS distribution
  3. Are there any plans to add a user accessible configuration for #2? I.e. a user-configurable "OS Template Definition"?
  4. In absence of #3 How does Proxmox decide what distributions to support and what versions to make available?

Since Proxmox is running LXD on the backend:
no it does not, pve uses its own code to wrap lxc

What does it take to support a new container flavor? I.e. if we try to import and use Amazon Linux we get:
the relevant code is in https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-container.git;a=summary

Are there any plans to add a user accessible configuration for #2? I.e. a user-configurable "OS Template Definition"?
no plans, since we generate some guest configs (e.g. network/resolv.conf/etc.) from our own config in /etc/pve/lxc/ID.conf

In absence of #3 How does Proxmox decide what distributions to support and what versions to make available?
basically if users request support and/or send patches for it and it is not too hard to integrate

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!