Console video resolution - what's the "Right" way?

dlasher

Renowned Member
Mar 23, 2011
Since pve v5, I've struggled with getting a usable video resolution on the proxmox console. Especially with servers that have VGA output, proxmox tends to default to the highest possibly supported resolution, often leaving the KVM or rack-mounted-VGA out of range.

Up to this point, I've been able to use the following GRUB settings to force to a lower resolution.

Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="gfxpayload=text nomodeset"
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600
GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=keep

However, I've added a couple of NUCs to my lab cluster, and I want to use their iGPU. NoModeSet breaks GVT, which takes me back to unsupported resolutions. It's frustrating to watch the machine boot. It respects the 800x600 till about 3/4ths of the way through the boot, then changes to an unsupported resolution.

So... what's the RIGHT way to force 800x600 without breaking GPU acceleration?

notes:
Code:
root@pve11:~# for p in /sys/class/drm/*/status; do con=${p%/status}; echo -n "${con#*/card?-}: "; cat $p; done
DP-1: connected
DP-2: disconnected
DP-3: disconnected
HDMI-A-1: disconnected
HDMI-A-2: disconnected

root@pve11:~# cat /sys/class/graphics/fb0/modes
U:1920x1080p-0

apt -y install fbset

root@pve11:/etc# fbset 800x600-60

root@pve11:/etc# fbset

mode "800x600"
    geometry 800 600 1920 1080 32
    timings 0 88 40 23 1 128 4
    hsync high
    vsync high
    accel true
    rgba 8/16,8/8,8/0,0/0
endmode

doesn't work -- investigate EFIFB?

Last edited:
Did you ever find an answer to this? For me trying to find any info on changing the console resolution is challenging. I'm trying to change the resolution AND set the display to vertical for a vertical monitor. Do you have any suggestions or input? Thank you!

Did you ever find an answer to this? For me trying to find any info on changing the console resolution is challenging. I'm trying to change the resolution AND set the display to vertical for a vertical monitor. Do you have any suggestions or input? Thank you!
yes, for me the answer turned out to be forcing the video mode, which I commented on in this thread : https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/changing-host-console-resolution.12408/

Short version - add the following to the END of your GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT - then "update-grub" then reboot

Code:
video=1024x768@60

^^ change as appropriate to your mode.

Works perfectly for me, across multiple machines, much better than the "nomodeset" option. I now have both usable consoles AND working iGPU/GVT.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!