Console does not work with macOS Sonoma

tessus

Oct 5, 2020
Toronto, Canada
I was able to get macOS Sonoma running in a VM, however for some reason when I open the console I can't do anything. No mouse or keyboard input work.

It is not a showstopper, because I can use VNC or Screen Sharing to access the VM, but it's peculiar. It always worked with previous macOS versions. I am just lucky that I upgraded the VM so that screen sharing was actually active....

Has anyone experienced the same issue and knows a fix?

Reactions: ProxInaBox
I’ve been poking around trying to get to Sonoma all week. I finally get it to load via upgrade from v12 and find this same issue to persist. Failed for the installer too. I have no answers but I’ll share if that changes. Opencore v20 used. Tablet for pointer enabled.

Looks like everything after that version requires USB injection from Kexts in the EFI. I’ll try that later just an FYI to you to try.

Last edited:
Looks like everything after that version requires USB injection from Kexts in the EFI.

What do you mean? You mean all macOS versions after Ventura? (I'm running Ventura w/o these input issues.)

How do I set USB injection from Kexts in the EFI? Is this a flag in config.plist? I'll read up on it. Thanks for the info.

I was running Sonoma 14.3 just fine. Tonight, after updating to 14.4 I'm having the same issue. Is there more info on how to access the EFI via the Proxmox VM to correct this?

I have the same problem

the mouse and keyboard work fine in the OpenCore boot menu but once I select to boot from Mac OS the mouse and keyboard stop working immediately

I have bootable ISO of both versions (14.3) and (14.4), and even in the setup (menu where Recovery, Install, Safari, and Disk Utility are listed), the mouse and keyboard work when I boot in 14.3 but do not work when I boot to 14.4

Remove this from your .conf file

-device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2 -global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off -global ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off

Then add this in it's place

-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet

This worked for me after updating to 14.4!

EDIT:
not necessary to change global settings

Change "-device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2" to "-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet"

Last edited:
After i did this edit in config, when i start the vm and select mac os in boot menu after apple logo and progress bar appear 1 second, the VM stop immediately (Mac OS crash)

after the test, i found that "-global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off" is what prevent my VM from crashing so using these fixed my problem:
-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet -global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off

Than you very much @flognort

Reactions: flognort
After i did this edit in config, when i start the vm and select mac os in boot menu after apple logo and progress bar appear 1 second, the VM stop immediately (Mac OS crash)
I found this from a comment on youtube,

"

Just found a Fix : you need to remove every -device arguments in your .conf file of your MacOS VM, and add this line just after -smbios type=2 :
-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet

"

I see you said your keyboard and mouse works in the boot menu, My mouse never worked in the boot menu(and still doesn't but it isn't an issue, I can use the keyboard) and if I remember correctly the keyboard also broke in the boot menu after 14.4 update.

My VMs work with both "-global nec-usb-xhci.msi=off" on and off also, so weird. Are you doing gpu or usb passthrough?

I actually just found they also work with "-global ICH9-LPC.acpi-pci-hotplug-with-bridge-support=off" hmm, so I beleive the proper fix is just changing "-device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2" to "-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet"

Reactions: 3alisaki
no, my mouse does not work in the boot menu, only the keyboard, but after I select to boot to Mac OS version 14.3 both the mouse and keyboard work, and when I select boot to Mac OS 14.4 both do not work (before I added the config I mentioned above)

I think that the mouse that appears in in boot menu is just an image.

Last edited:
I got crash with 14.4.1 after installing.
Tried both cases:
- Replace the device argument
- Replace device argument and remove global option

T_T

I encountered the same issue after boot in the menu on macos in pve8.1 and wanted to offer some suggestions. Initially, I found that I could navigate the menu options using the keyboard before booting into macOS (10.14.7/14.4) in PVE 8.1, using the kvm-open-core-v20.iso boot EFI. However, the mouse functionality remained non-responsive within these menu options, and this persisted even after reaching the login screen.

Despite attempting to rectify the issue by changing the configuration from "-device usb-kbd,bus=ehci.0,port=2" to "-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet," the problem persisted. Eventually, I discovered a workaround with the trick way by utilizing VNC software to continue using macOS.

Nevertheless, I am still eager to explore alternative solutions to accessing other local USB ports on macOS with PVE 8.1. Despite creating the usbMap.kext&usbToolbox(created kext in windows on the host machine) within macOS, the issue persisted even after booting into the system. I would greatly appreciate any insights or advice from those who have encountered similar challenges and have found effective solutions. Thank you sincerely for your assistance!

also,
I found that It seems like the USB ports are not detected in macOS.

1713118688640.png

Last edited:
Thanks to @flognort this worked for me "-device qemu-xhci -device usb-kbd -device usb-tablet"
@tootai hi, What are the versions of your macos , pve, and kvm-opencore?
If possible, can you send me the download address privately (pve8.1.10, opencore-kvm-v21, macos14.1/macos10.15.7
My laptop can be selected on the startup screen, and then the USB fails when entering the system in the version above). I have been stuck on this problem for a week...
I'm a little discouraged now...

When I try to use a pass-through USB device to install the system, it prompts support.apple.com/mac/startup .(pve 8.1.10, macos 12.7.1 [21G920])
It seems that this is also the reason the pass-through USB mouse and keyboard cannot be found, but win10 pass-through is very simple. In some cases It may be that the smbios motherboard cannot communicate with the pass-through USB (ketx is not compatible with the pve macos system, etc.), which is a big headache
1713727256455.png

@tootai hi, What are the versions of your macos , pve, and kvm-opencore?
If possible, can you send me the download address privately (pve8.1.10, opencore-kvm-v21, macos14.1/macos10.15.7
My laptop can be selected on the startup screen, and then the USB fails when entering the system in the version above). I have been stuck on this problem for a week...
I'm a little discouraged now...
I installed Monterey, did a clone from this VM and start upgrade to Sonoma from inside Monterey

Well in regards to this conversation for everyone involved I took away the menu whether it's the text or graphical menu for Sonoma and that seems to solve the problem for me, so make sure go in 1441 EFI file and uncheck show picker. And update Nvram ...
In NVRAM 7c4361110... args -v keepsyms=1 amfi=0x80
Working: csr-active-config Data 030A0000
Hopefully this works for the Vm but if you are just talking about mouse and keybord control in the vnc console I dont know, good luck!

On my side with a ventura os, if i add / change the option to : -device qemu-xhci , ... The vm refure to start and tell error :
Could not open 'qemu-xhci': No such file or directory

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!