"Connection error - server offline?"

rabcnesbit

Feb 24, 2024
For the past few days, my proxmox server has been intermittently disconnecting (i.e. unable to access it via the web address, page not loading at all). I leave it for a while, then it comes back. This been going on a few days now which obviously is not ideal! So, today, I decided to update it. Everything worked fine the first couple of hours, then all of sudden went offline and has come back. I have gone to the shell interface and rebooted it and all seems fine on that level, but the web interface is just not working. Keeps coming up connection error, then server offline. I am lost as to what to do to fix this. I am on proxmox virtual environment 8.2.2. Thank you

Check very carefully if there is a second device configured to use the same IP address - this exactly the expected kind of problems in this case...
I have just the one device with proxmox installed, and my PC. My PC just has windows 10 on it. no server or anything that nature. Like I stated, the proxmox server was working after the updates, and just all of sudden of its own accord went offline and been that way ever since!

and just all of sudden of its own accord went offline
Step zero: check the physical wire.

Look into the logs. In that situation (it ran a while and is now offline) journalctl -b 0 -e gives you the events since last reboot. Of course you need to use the local console for this. man journalctl helps to find other options for useful filtering.

Do you run VMs in that moment? Perhaps the system is overloaded? Watch htop in the console. Look for the system load and the RAM usage. Advanced: play with htop and enable the display of "PSI some CPU:, PSI some IO:, PSI some memory, ..., Network:, Disk IO:, ..."

Your network configuration is static? Please start by giving us some information, like the copy-n-pasted output of the commands
  • ip address show # currently active IP addresses
  • ip route show # currently active routing table
  • cat /etc/network/interfaces # and/or ifquery -a for comparison
  • pveversion -v
  • as your client runs that other OS, in a cmd.exe-Window: ipconfig show /all
Oh, and please put each command in a separate [CODE]...[/CODE]-block for better readability.

Step zero: check the physical wire.

Look into the logs. In that situation (it ran a while and is now offline) journalctl -b 0 -e gives you the events since last reboot. Of course you need to use the local console for this. man journalctl helps to find other options for useful filtering.

Do you run VMs in that moment? Perhaps the system is overloaded? Watch htop in the console. Look for the system load and the RAM usage. Advanced: play with htop and enable the display of "PSI some CPU:, PSI some IO:, PSI some memory, ..., Network:, Disk IO:, ..."

Your network configuration is static? Please start by giving us some information, like the copy-n-pasted output of the commands
  • ip address show # currently active IP addresses
  • ip route show # currently active routing table
  • cat /etc/network/interfaces # and/or ifquery -a for comparison
  • pveversion -v
  • as your client runs that other OS, in a cmd.exe-Window: ipconfig show /all
Oh, and please put each command in a separate [CODE]...[/CODE]-block for better readability.

All connections/wires are okay. In fact, the server came back online of its own accord sometime yesterday. However, today its gone down again, and it's not even allowing me to logon via the web interface (image below), and yes I am using the correct credentials (username and password, as I am able to logon to the local console. Really weird stuff going on!

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 20.04.03.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-09 at 20.04.03.jpeg
    322.1 KB · Views: 3
  • proxloginfail.JPG
    proxloginfail.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 3
Well..., strange.

In the screenshot "enp1s0" is down. (And for this reason also vmbr0 is down.) No data can travel while this is so. (It should read "UP".)

Is there a pyhsical LED at the NIC? Depending on the model it may constantly light in a specific color and/or blink to signal in-/outgoing traffic.

The same at the other end of the cable: all switches have LEDs, I think. Check them. Try another cable and/or switch port. Pull the cable --> all LEDs should turn off; plug it in again --> any LED turned on should be sufficient for now.

The software command to try to set it "UP" manually should not be necessary to be invoked, but you can try it nevertheless: ip link set up dev enp1s0 and check the result with "ip addr show" (or "ip link show").

Best regards

Well..., strange.

In the screenshot "enp1s0" is down. (And for this reason also vmbr0 is down.) No data can travel while this is so. (It should read "UP".)

Is there a pyhsical LED at the NIC? Depending on the model it may constantly light in a specific color and/or blink to signal in-/outgoing traffic.

The same at the other end of the cable: all switches have LEDs, I think. Check them. Try another cable and/or switch port. Pull the cable --> all LEDs should turn off; plug it in again --> any LED turned on should be sufficient for now.

The software command to try to set it "UP" manually should not be necessary to be invoked, but you can try it nevertheless: ip link set up dev enp1s0 and check the result with "ip addr show" (or "ip link show").

Best regards
Hello. appreciate your assistance. Just back home, and tried it again, and it logged in okay, and back on line. Not holding my breath it won't go offline again of its own accord. Not sure what is really going on. If it keeps doing this next day or so, I think I will just start from scratch and re-install it again!

Hi
I did a fresh install of the latest version of proxmox to move off of esxi. I am facing a similar issue, the gui intermittently becomes unresponsive. Not a lot to see in the logs so far but have to dig a bit further.

Should it matter my hardware is a 12900h minisforum ms-01, using the i226-lm nic with vpro amt enabled

Hi
I did a fresh install of the latest version of proxmox to move off of esxi. I am facing a similar issue, the gui intermittently becomes unresponsive. Not a lot to see in the logs so far but have to dig a bit further.

Should it matter my hardware is a 12900h minisforum ms-01, using the i226-lm nic with vpro amt enabled
god***it , I was SO sure I didn't reuse an ip but sure enough I did and there was a conflict.

So, false alarm for me :)

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!