Connect USB device to other node

Rafael Álvarez

Apr 25, 2016
I have an installation with 4 nodes. It´s possible connect a USB device to a VM in other node. I suppose that this is specially important in an HA environment.

Thanks

Connecting to actual hardware sort of breaks the virtualization abstraction. What if the node with the USB device goes down? I don't know if Proxmox supports what you are asking, but you could look into usbip, which is built into Linux, to connect USB remotely.

Would be a killer feature. Right now i am sharing usb devices via usbip. Proxmox integration would be great!

I just start using Proxmox but have a HA setup of 2 nodes and looking for this feature. Now I have a Raspberry Pi installed with the USB devices and do it with USBIP to mount them to the host. In case of a failure of my node I have to manually move the USB device to the other host. Maybe an automated system for this would be nice.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!