Configuring pfsense in VM with static IP from DSL modem

paulv1

Apr 29, 2013
I currently have a static IP coming from a DSL modem in bridge mode assigned to the WAN interface on a dedicated pfsense box that serves all of my LAN clients through a switch -including my existing office servers and my PBX server running on dedicated machines.

I would like to combine all of these machines in one proxmox environment on a PoweEdge2950.

What is the proper way to configure the VE interfaces? I would like to let pfsense route all network traffic - even to the VE. Can a VM serve as a gateway for a VE?

I am an enduser, not a techie, and the environment is a busy office that makes it difficult to experiment.

Thanks for your time and assistance.

Hi Paul,

we have some machines out with a similar layout: A virtualized pfSense as firewall/router, a virtualized win server and physical clients.

This is easy to achieve: Use vmbr0 for the inner lan segment. Attach office and pbx server to that interface (and of course the switch and lan segment of pfSense to the physical one).
Use vmbr1 for pfSense wan segment (use MAC addresses of the vm to decide which is which) and attach your DSL modem to the attached pyhsical interface of vmbr1.

regards, Holger

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!