Configuring Intel iGPU/i915 SR-IOV: How does the VRAM get divided between VFs?

Sep 1, 2022
I tried googling about this, but ran into trouble filtering out SR-IOV info for Flex cards, NICs, and everything else Intel offers this feature on.

tl;dr I can't find information on how the system dynamically assigns iGPU VRAM to VF devices. I know from looking at the card in Windows bare metal with gpu-Z that in my 32 GB system, 16 GB is allocated as "shared VRAM," but I'm not sure what that means for using VFs in Proxmox. (If this all works, yes, I will get more RAM. I'm not putting any more cash into this box until I know this feature is working. :p )

I've set my system up like this:

Code:
root@andromeda2:~# batcat /etc/kernel/cmdline
───────┬────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: /etc/kernel/cmdline
───────┼────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ root=ZFS=rpool/ROOT/pve-1 boot=zfs intel_iommu=on iommu=pt i915.enable_guc=3 i915.max_vfs=7 console=ttyS0,115200n8 console=tty0
───────┴────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
root@andromeda2:~# batcat /etc/sysfs.conf
───────┬────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
       │ File: /etc/sysfs.conf
───────┼────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
   1   │ devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:02.0/sriov_numvfs = 3
───────┴────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
root@andromeda2:~#

My intent was to have 3 usable VFs--the card supports 7, so I left max_vfs set to that, but realistically trying to use that many on such a weak iGPU would be problematic. My goal here was to have one VF for a Linux VM that will need it all the time, one VF for a Windows VM that will need it all the time, and one left over to goof around with while I'm testing everything.

A few questions:

• What is the total size of VRAM (shared RAM) that it uses versus system RAM?
  • How does it slice it up? I don't need it sliced 7 ways, and in retrospect 3 is an odd number and not a great idea (4 would be better, I realize as I write this), but I'd rather understand what it's doing before I try to experiment. That said ...
  • Use Case: How do I set the options so it gives me 4 VFs with 4 GB vRAM each?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!