Configure VLAN on VMs without using bridges

Firm

Renowned Member
Oct 27, 2015
Common scenario when you need to bind VM to particular VLAN is to create bridge on host node and use this bridge interface in Network section of particular VM.

Is there any solution to not create bridge interfaces at all? Network options page allows only bridge-type interfaces to be chosen. So, I would like to have interface (eth0) in trunk mode (802.1q) and bind VM's network adapter to it specifying VLAN ID (tag). Management traffic (for Proxmox node itself) is passing over other physical interface (or just creating single management interface like eth0.10 for VLAN10 only traffic to host).

The following configuration is an example of what this might look like.

The IP address for the GUI is bound to the vmbr0v10.
The vmbr0 is assigned to each VM and the appropriate VLAN ID is assigned directly via the Proxmox interface.
The VLANs only need to be enabled on the switch port, but not configured as an interface on the node or in the VM.

Personally, I prefer this approach because it saves me having to set up the interfaces within the VM. If I want to change the VLAN, I can do it easily via the PVE GUI.

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eno1 inet manual

iface eno2 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    slaves eno1 eno2
    bond_miimon 100
    bond_mode 802.3ad
    bond_xmit_hash_policy layer3+4
    mtu 9000

auto bond0.10
iface bond0.10 inet manual
    vlan-raw-device bond0

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 0.0.0.0
    netmask 0.0.0.0
    bridge_ports bond0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr0v10
iface vmbr0v10 inet static
    address 10.0.0.2
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 10.0.0.1
    bridge_ports bond0.10
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0
    mtu 9000

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!