Conbee 2 not working with USB Passtrough

richardnl

Dec 11, 2023
Dear Proxmox community,

I hope all are doing well. I have a weird issue with USB passthrough . I have 3 devices that I want to passthrough to my Home Assistant KVM VM. An bluetooth adapter, a serial reader and an Zigbee Conbee 2 stick. The first 2 devices are working fine, but the Zigbee Conbee 2 device gets recognized in the VM and can be claimed by Zigbee2mqtt but it is not possible to communicate with the device. Which causes zigbee2mqq to stop. I post the error message at the end of the post.

I have found a workaround by using PCI passthrough to forward the full USB bus to the KVM VM. This does work, but when I do this, I cannot use any usb devies anymore within the host or any other vms. This is workable, but it would be great if someone knows a solution for this issue. Please note, I do not change any configuration inside the VM.

I also tried spinning up an LXC CT Zigbee2Mqtt, it gives the same error as with the VM KVM USB passthrough route. It is like there is some process claiming it inside the host.

Please note: the Server I am using has only 3 Usb 3.0 ports, and I tried all 3 of them. And I am using Proxmox 8.1.

Code:
2023-12-11T19:39:34.547Z zigbee-herdsman:deconz:adapter get network parameters Error:TIMEOUT
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2023-12-11 20:39:34: Failed to start zigbee
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2023-12-11 20:39:34: Check https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/guide/installation/20_zigbee2mqtt-fails-to-start.html for possible solutions
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2023-12-11 20:39:34: Exiting...
Zigbee2MQTT:error 2023-12-11 20:39:34: Error: get network parameters Error:TIMEOUT

Thank you so much in advance and have a nice day.

Last edited:
I have a Conbee2 passthru to an unprivileged LXC (Using ZHA, not Zibee2mqtt) and on a 8.1 host.
So it should work using KVM/Qemu for you.

Although I had to chmod 777 the /dev/ttyACM0 on the host, which is less that ideal.

edit: actually I have two. One at work on a host plugged in USB2, the other at home uses USB3. So that can't be it either.

Last edited:
Reactions: richardnl
I have a Conbee2 passthru to an unprivileged LXC (Using ZHA, not Zibee2mqtt) and on a 8.1 host.
So it should work using KVM/Qemu for you.

Although I had to chmod 777 the /dev/ttyACM0 on the host, which is less that ideal.

edit: actually I have two. One at work on a host plugged in USB2, the other at home uses USB3. So that can't be it either.
Thanks for your reply. Tried it didn't work for me unfortanetly in an LXC , I solved it now by using an other Zigbee stick (Sonoff ZBDongle-E). This works with usb passthrough without issues. I think it is a combination of this particular stick with my motherboard and Proxmox. But I cannot really find the real reason after hours of debugging, so I will migrate to the "new" Zigbee stick. Thanks again for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!