[SOLVED] Completely Disabling Greylisting - can it be done?

Steve-M

Sep 8, 2023
I've been back and forth between using and not using PMG at my organization, the thing that's causing me the most snags is greylisting.

In short, we receive a lot of necessary for production, automated email, that is coming from a randomly generated domain for every message (on an unknown / different every time cellular network block), and the sending server software cannot be configured to reattempt redelivery. This probably accounts for 90% of my mail traffic.

Greylisting seems to catch all of this though, I hadn't heard of greylisting before using PMG, and it seems to be doing its job.

Can I make it *not* do its job? The only setting I've found on my own are the "Use Greylisting for IPv4" and "Use Greylisting for IPv6" on the Mail Proxy > Options setting screen, both of them are unchecked, but according to Administration > Tracking Center page, nearly all of my mail is greylisted.

Is there another "Greylisting = On / Off" setting that I'm missing somewhere?

Can I make it *not* do its job? The only setting I've found on my own are the "Use Greylisting for IPv4" and "Use Greylisting for IPv6" on the Mail Proxy > Options setting screen, both of them are unchecked, but according to Administration > Tracking Center page, nearly all of my mail is greylisted.
This should disable greylisting - if in doubt you might want to reboot the PMG to make sure (but I'm quite sure this would not be needed)

else - please post `pmgversion -v` and a bit of the system journal showing such mail (`journalctl --since today`).

Reactions: Steve-M
Rebooting seemed to resolve the issue, however I would agree that it shouldn't have been relevant.

I'm using to doing that on Windows workstations, but my Linux machines I've been kind of like "it's a VM, I didn't change hardware, why would I ever need to reboot this thing?" :)

Thanks for your help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!