Compiling storage drivers for proxmox ve host

tlphipps

Jul 30, 2008
I'm very interested in trying Proxmox VE, but I need to make sure I can use my highpoint raid controller on the host machine. Highpoint provides linux drivers in source format so they can be compiled for any kernel, but I need to make sure the kernel headers, gcc, etc. are available on the proxmox VE host so the drivers can be compiled.

Can anyone confirm the availability of these items on the proxmox VE host?

I'm very interested in trying Proxmox VE, but I need to make sure I can use my highpoint raid controller on the host machine. Highpoint provides linux drivers in source format so they can be compiled for any kernel, but I need to make sure the kernel headers, gcc, etc. are available on the proxmox VE host so the drivers can be compiled.

Can anyone confirm the availability of these items on the proxmox VE host?

Proxmox VE is based on Debian Etch 4.0 amd64, the Proxmox sources can be found here: ftp://pve.proxmox.com/sources/

which highpoint raid controller do you try to use?

Thanks for the information. My concern is that I know the proxmox kernel is customized for the various things it's designed to do. Hopefully the sources you provided in the link will be sufficient for building this driver.

I'm specifically trying to support a highpoint 1740 PCI adapter.

Well, I'm not having any luck with this driver. I was able to compile against the 2.6.24-etchnhalf.1 kernel sources available via apt-get, but when I try to insmod that module it complains about the 'version of symbol struct_module'.

Unfortunately I can't seem to locate all of the necessary files in the proxmox sources provided. Specifically, I need the full contents of the /lib/modules/2.6.24/build directory which aren't included in the proxmox-ve install. I can't seem to locate the proper package to populate this directory.

How About HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI Express x4?

I am also contemplating this week using a Highpoint card with Proxmox, in my case, the HighPoint RocketRAID 2310 PCI Express x4 (as shown here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115027 and here: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/rr2310.htm).

We make a number of smaller servers, hence this is mostly a price-driven design decision.

Open source driver support for 2.6.24 and 2.6.25 appears good for this drive, as shown here: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/BIOS_...x/rr231x_0x-linux-src-v2.2-080710-1412.tar.gz.

And I understand how to take the above Proxmox source config and build a custom kernel for Proxmox with it, but I am wondering, what is the right/best way to actually use this during install, since the install CD does not appear to be easily updatable as to install kernel. Or am I flat out missing something obvious here?

Any insight is appreciated, and if someone else has a raid controller they prefer which has better immediate Proxmox support in this 'value' end of the price scale, please steer me right.

Cheers,

- Michael

Still Stuck!

I remain stuck :( on the best way to use lower cost 3rd party raid controllers with the current semi-locked Proxmox install process. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

- Michael

I remain stuck :( on the best way to use lower cost 3rd party raid controllers with the current semi-locked Proxmox install process. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

- Michael

Proxmox does not lock anything, we use the newest Kernel possible. If the hardware vendor do not include drivers in the mainstream Kernel enforce him to to do so.

If not, anybody else have to do the work - the sources are available.

But there are quite a lot a good controllers around with full support and full performance so I highly recommend to go for such one.

Especially in the case of server consolidation and virtualization it is absolutely the most important point to have fast and reliable hardware raid and disks system - saving money here in the first run will lead to higher cost at the end.

I agree that a hardware raid controller is required for a good Proxmox install, especially given the current lack of software raid support. Can anyone post a list of hardware raid cards supported 'out-of-box' by the current beta install disk? That would help those of us who are unsure how to redo the base install CD disk with choosing a controller in thge right price range for our Proxmox projects.

Cheers!

- Michael

I agree that a hardware raid controller is required for a good Proxmox install, especially given the current lack of software raid support. Can anyone post a list of hardware raid cards supported 'out-of-box' by the current beta install disk? That would help those of us who are unsure how to redo the base install CD disk with choosing a controller in thge right price range for our Proxmox projects.

Cheers!

- Michael

Good idea but it is not possible at this stage. As we use Debian Etch 64 you can buy all hardware raid controller certified for Debian. In fact, we support more as we use a much newer Kernel, but there is no one around who can do all these tests just for a development beta Kernel.

So, if you want to buy just a reasonable priced hardware raid controller with very good performance you can go for a Adaptec, e.g. http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/Controllers/Hardware/sas/performance/SAS-5405/

connect 4 x 15krpm SAS drives, build a RAID10 and you have a fast machine.

if you prefer buying a full server, just go for a HP with real hardware raid controller with BBC- they are known to work well on Debian - just recheck this with your seller.

For Proxmox VE V1.0 (First stable release) we will setup a wiki page where the users can post their hardware configuration.

Good idea but it is not possible at this stage. As we use Debian Etch 64 you can buy all hardware raid controller certified for Debian. In fact, we support more as we use a much newer Kernel, but there is no one around who can do all these tests just for a development beta Kernel.

So, if you want to buy just a reasonable priced hardware raid controller with very good performance you can go for a Adaptec, e.g. http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/Controllers/Hardware/sas/performance/SAS-5405/

connect 4 x 15krpm SAS drives, build a RAID10 and you have a fast machine.

Thanks. I am after building 100 pretty fast servers, rather than a few very fast ones, hence my focus on value.

I guess I am asking this the wrong way, because I think it is easier that it sounds here.

I am not looking for any kind of certification or any special testing; I am looking for know what settings have been used in your default kernel compiling process, so that I can back into the list of choices for RAID controllers support by what you already supply. A cut and paste from the make-menuconfig of your build for the controllers area might just do it (although I am not great expert in this stuff). Such a posting might also lead to some useful requests from your beta users as to 'please incude controller xxx or yyy in youer next kernel' kinds of feedback. Might be a good WiKi thing on its own?

The SAS-5405 looks like a coll fast board, and it may do the trick for some pilots, but at $400-$500, it may be a bit of a premium product for large reployment of smaller servers -- I'd love to find something decent in the $150-$300 range that would do the trick in a RAID 1 kind of setup, if such exists.

Sorry to be just a cheap such-and-such!

Cheers,

- Michael

You might find this link helpful, gives an overview of Debian hw raid card support: http://wiki.debian.org/LinuxRaidForAdmins

Andrew,

Do you think it is safe to assume that only those controllers listed on that page above as supported the Debian Installer will be via-able for install support under the current Proxmox Beta, ie:

Driver name Supported Status Cmd tool GUI tool Debian-installer 3w-xxxx Yes No Yes* No Yes arcmsr Yes No* Yes* * Yes cciss Yes Yes ? ? Yes DAC960 Yes Yes ? ? Yes gdth Yes Yes No* ? Yes ips Yes No* No* No* Yes
?

Yeah that sounds likely. I think you can be pretty sure that anything listed Yes will work, however it is not a deal breaker. As Tom pointed out the Adaptec controllers work, but aacraid has a ?, so I guess some of the ?'s will work as well.

Also, I believe anything that you can get working with Debian Etch 64 bit will do the trick. I believe it is possible to install a plain Debian Etch 64 bit however you like, and then add the proxmox ve packages to turn it into proxmox ve. Perhaps the developers could shed some light on that option, I have seen it mentioned but not seen any links to the packages themselves...

... I believe anything that you can get working with Debian Etch 64 bit will do the trick. I believe it is possible to install a plain Debian Etch 64 bit however you like, and then add the proxmox ve packages to turn it into proxmox ve. .s...

That be useful! Then we could better leverage some of this off-speed driver and config stuff.

Thanks, Andrew.

That be useful! Then we could better leverage some of this off-speed driver and config stuff.

Thanks, Andrew.

Please do not forget that you should always use a battery backup on you raid controllers to prevent data corruption - you cannot add a battery to the cheap controllers you are talking about.

Compiling a custom Kernel: if you use a custom Kernel, you cannot update to a new one without compiling again and again. I assume for the next months we will release several new Kernels so you always will have lot of work and testing on your side.

If you need 100 servers, I recommend you should ask the big server companies for good discounts - you will have good chance here :)

hi,

I can recommend areca cards as well, they work fine and with a not so top of the line server you will be fine.

OTOH, if you really want to make your life easier, and when I read that you intend to deploy +100 servers I infer you want to make your life easier, trying to save a buck might just bite you in the long run. Get real server hardware (hp, supermicro, fujitsu-siemens, sun). Get manangement ports. This stuff costs a bit more but it pays itself back when the first problem arises.

Besides, server hardware is getting cheaper all the time. Implement a monitoring solution like nagios and use the plugins from nagiosexchange to monitor the hardware. This is possible with real server hardware, it is not with cheaper cards.

Please do not forget that you should always use a battery backup on you raid controllers to prevent data corruption - you cannot add a battery to the cheap controllers you are talking about.

Compiling a custom Kernel: if you use a custom Kernel, you cannot update to a new one without compiling again and again. I assume for the next months we will release several new Kernels so you always will have lot of work and testing on your side.

If you need 100 servers, I recommend you should ask the big server companies for good discounts - you will have good chance here :)

Hello!

Is it possbile to compile the latest official linux kernel 3.3.0 or is there anything important missing?
I'd also like to compile a fresh kernel due to my network config, I have 2x r8169 + 1x r8168 and there are some serious networking issues.
I tried to make the latest driver but therefor I need the linux-headers.

regards, nxs

Last edited:
Hello!

Is it possbile to compile the latest official linux kernel 3.3.0 or is there anything important missing?
I'd also like to compile a fresh kernel due to my network config, I have 2x r8169 + 1x r8168 and there are some serious networking issues.
I tried to make the latest driver but therefor I need the linux-headers.

regards, nxs

you cannot use anything other than 2.6.32 as this one is the only OpenVZ kernel. if you have driver issues, give details and open a new thread.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!