Common KVM processor error in PVE 5.0 Windows VM

jraf@Eurolog

Aug 18, 2017
Hello,

I have setup a new cluster with Proxmox VE 5.0 and I am now migrating my virtual machines from my old VE 3.4 cluster to the new one. Now on the Vista-based Windows VMs (Server 2008, x86 and x64 also) I see an error in the device manager: "Common KVM processor" is shown with an exclamation mark - checking the device properties it says: "A driver(service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)"

Rebooting doesn't help - I also have a Windows 7 machine on the new cluster which doesn't show this error, so it seems to be Vista related. What can I do about that?

As far as I can see the machine is running fine anyways, but I am a little concerned about this error message... this is supposed to become a productive system ;)

Try upgrading the virtio drivers on those VMs, also maybe the processor type changed from on PVE host to the other?

We are using a default setup of the virtual machines - cpu type is and has been "kvm64 (default)" on these machines. Of course the hardware of the proxmox hosts is different - on the old cluster we have been using HP DL380 G5 servers, the new cluster is built with HP DL380 G7 machines. CPUs have changed from Xeon E5410 to Xeon X5670.

As we also have a subscription for Redhat we are using the latest stable VirtIO drivers Redhat has released, in this case virtio-win-1.9.3
I am using the VirtIO balloon drivers and VirtIO stor respectively SCSI for the disk controller. Should we install anything else as well?

I don't know about the Redhat versioning but the latest stable virtio release is 0.1.126 (newest 0.1.141) on the fedoraproject site. Maybe uninstall is all it needs, as the message says, that an alternate driver may provide the functionality.

Hmm.. well - I uninstalled the devices and rebooted the machine, now the exclamation marks have disappeared and everything looks alright.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!